I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Preformed Cork Grips
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 18, 2005 10:38AM

I am working on a project that has required me to take a very close look at preformed cork grips from a number of vendors. The present market structure, pertaining to quality control, is typically based on a visual observation of the surface of the cork and comparison to a rating system. In some cases, the surface is altered in an attempt to upgrade the appearance of the cork piece. Cork can be filled, turned, sanded bleached and protected with shrink-wrap.

I received a new and improved rear grip today from a vendor that appears to have features that are an improvement. My evaluation of this one piece of cork has lead me to ask the following questions:

1. Do vendors have any specifications or requirements for preformed cork grips that they can hold the manufactures accountable for other than subjective visual rating? What would happen if minimum standards did exist for quality.

2. Cork has a density range. Would it be more logical to rate cork quality by the weight of a known volume? A cork with a higher porosity will weigh less. The improved sample I received is just plain heavy compared to other grips. This density should be reported and specified before filling operations. A cork piece full of holes weighs less.

3. Does the compressive strength of the filler material have minimum standards industry wide? I know the answer to this question but think it should be yes. There are contract laboratories all over the world that run 28 day compressive strength tests on all forms of concrete and road stabilization materials. If the filler does not have any strength it will not stay in place.

4. Just how savvy are the grip makers? Take a look at some of the grips you have on your shelves. The center section of the grips will tend to be more heavily filled with the higher quality rings on the ends. Could it be possible that they know that production companies who do not use full plastic wrap will typically place a label over the center 1/3 of the cork grip which hides the true quality of the cork.

5. Should a custom builder have the ability to find out what is the nature of the filler from the vendor? Is it cork dust, bentonite, expanded pearlite or whatever and does the filler contain any glue or adhesive?

6. Is the adhesive in the filler oil base, water base, epoxy or chewing gum?

Tom has long been an advocate of a Trade Group for our craft. I am an advocate of minimum standards or at least a reasonable way to find out what we are buying.

Gon Fishn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Preformed Cork Grips
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 18, 2005 12:14PM

My experience with pre-formed fly rod grips has not been good. A few years ago I tried grips sold by some well respected reel seat manufacturers, and from some well respected board sponsors. All were >$25 in price and in some cases I was able to inspect the grips prior to purchasing. In all cases the grips shed a considerable amount of filler after a short time of use leaving me dissatisfied with my own rod and facing re-work.

So I went back to constructing my own grips and have recently had to suspend building of a few rods until I can locate cork rings that will satisfy my desire for quality. I don't have any experience performing cork void filling, but my experience has led me to conclude that a higher selling price doesn't necessarily suggest a better level of quality.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 18, 2005 05:07PM

I should point out that my post above wasn't a knock on board sponsors, just a statement about the quality of cork for sale these days. My point is that cork filling isn't the answer. Hopefully better days are just ahead.

Jeff

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2005 05:25PM

Jeff,
Although I can't speak from personal experiance I can say that the buzz on this board speaks highly of the cork and rings
supplied by Andy Dear.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: December 18, 2005 06:27PM

This, in my mind, is not totally a vendor issue - the manufacturers have the control in how they do things. I just think that some quality control measures by the industry in general would really help. We as custom builders are a small voice - the big ones are the production rod builders who stick the cork on their stuff - they could help with a required specification for what was put on their rods. Back door Trade Group! A good market with strength could require better products!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: December 18, 2005 08:43PM

Than there is the point that maybe there wouldn't be enough of the good stuff to go around if everyone used it. We can't find enough now, the next batch that hits Angler's Workshop is already spoken for according to them.

Date: December 19, 2005 09:32AM

Spencer, your post is quite interesting to me! You mentioned the vendor and the good stuff - this implies that someone knows something that is not common knowledge to all who buy preformed cork. You hit the nail right on the head - all of us want to know what the difference is and how to get the "good stuff". I know it exists because I have one piece to admire.

You are also correct about the source - the test piece was submitted by Anglers. The filler has compressive strength properties. I am using this cork in a manner that does not require a visual acceptance criteria - I am primarily interested in the nature, type and strength of the filler.

Gon Fishn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2005 10:31AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: December 19, 2005 01:01PM

When I receive preformed grips from a vendor, I inspect them for quality (not appearance): good density, minimum pits, etc. If they're not a good value for the money, I send them back. It costs me a little in shipping, but I let the vendor know that the grips are not satisfactory and that, if they can't do better, I'll shop elsewhere. The most consistently reliable preformed grips come from Mudhole, IMHO.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: December 21, 2005 10:12AM

Bill,
I spoke with my cork manf. about this....again A manf. located in portugal, not a re-seller here in the states. The filler just about everyone uses according to him is basically a mixture of cork dust and a generic type of elmers glue applied via a large tumbler device.

I've been trying to call you on the phone as well.

Andy

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 21, 2005 12:04PM

The underlying message here is that Bill would like to see pre-made cork grips have structural integrity. If pits in the cork are filled, I believe he would like to see it done in a manner that allows the filler to stay in place. Utilizing a process that results in the filling being temporary is a bit of a misrepresentation. The grip is window-dressed temporarily and the buyer might be misled into thinking he's buying something of greater value than what he ends up with.

I don't think anyone likes that.

Jeff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster