I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod
Posted by: ron sokola (---.plyntv01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 08:42AM

Why are there more guides on a fly rod, then on a spinning rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2005 09:37AM

On rods of similar length, there usually isn't. Or at least there shouldn't be.

Posted by: ron sokola (---.plyntv01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 09:53AM

My father gave me an old bambo fly rod, with 14 guides, its 11'6. It fishes good, I love the action, as it locks up the fish in streams with a lot of brush, Thought may-be I could do the same with a spinning rod?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 10:18AM

Are you talking Factory rods compared to Custom built rods ?? There is a difference.
All depends on the flex of the blank. Stadic test up in the library

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 11:55AM

I've never thought about it until I read your question, but this is my take on it:

1. The guides on a fly rod are lighter in weight than those on a spinning rod.

2. The line shooting through the guides on a fly rod follows a straighter path as compared to a spinning rod where the line spirals off the reel.

3. Because of reasons #1 and #2, the rod can afford to have more guides. The greater number of guides allows the line to follow the rod's flex profile more closely. Of course there is a tradeoff between this and other factors, but reasons #1 and #2 allow the tradeoff to lean towards having more guides.

Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 17, 2005 01:31PM

With a fly rod, your casting the line as opposed to a spin rod where you're casting a heavy lure. You need better transferance of the rod load to the line during a fly cast. More guides, better transfer of power to the line, up to a point.

Posted by: tom tripp (---.plyntv01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 02:54PM

Thats all fair, but the rod blank I have is 2-6 lb. 10.6 noddle. useing a #16 guide, then down to #6. I should be very close to the number of guides as the flyrod, useing the Stadic test. Once the line is started down the guides, I am to understand that the number of guides should not effect the cast distance. What effect does having a certain # of guides hinder???

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2005 03:09PM

More guides = more weight and the blank has to carry that weight. Starting and stopping the rod takes longer and you lose energy that could have gone into your cast.

It would be rare that any extra friction from an extra guide on two has much effect on the cast, but the extra weight the blank has to carry (start and stop) may very well have an effect on the cast, among other things.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.144.146.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 09:05PM

Is this a fast action blank ? If so it should hold the guides but don't over do it.
When you think the spacing is good, TAKE one guides off. Respace again, bet you may like that better.

Ron
Have you done a static test on that bamboo rod ??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster