I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ROD BLANKS.COM
Posted by: Bill Gaude (---.an2.atl16.da.uu.net)
Date: December 16, 2005 09:55PM

aNYONE FAMILIAR WITH THE SALE BLANKS AT THE ABOVE SITE. HAVE A LOT OF SPARE PARTS AND JUST LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO DO ON COLD WINTER NIGHTS. THANKS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ROD BLANKS.COM
Posted by: Kevin Kresowaty (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: December 16, 2005 11:50PM

Honestly, I would spend a few dollars more and get one of the current Forecast models. I've built several rods on ther rodblanks.com blanks, and while they cast and fish farily well, there is a reason they sell for only $15 (or less) dollars. Despite having good casting characteristics, out of the 4 rods I built on those blanks, 3 had ferrules that regulary came loose during use, 2 were pretty crooked and corkscrew-like, and none of them were as long as specified ( rods were a few inches shorter than listed). On the other hand, a current first quality Forecast blank will have the fit and finish of a much more expensive blank. I prefer to spend the $30 or so and get a blank that was free of any annoying deffects.

However, I did recieve very good service from rodblanks.com. They quickly replaced a broken section for one of the blanks I ordered. (Broke at ferrule on the first trip, only rod I have ever broke) I beleive that I was only charged shipping for the replacement if I recall correctly.

Kevin

Posted by: Levi Farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: December 17, 2005 03:03AM

If you just want something to do on cold winter nights ( I sympathize, by the way) go for it. if you got the parts, and just want to build rods for the experience or something. I am in no way familiar with the above sight. I buy calstar, and gloomis, and some forecast, and I been pretty satisfied with the price. I mean, you just dont get something for nothing. If you make something you love, or can give to someone who will love it, or someone who will love it and buy it, thats great. I made a rod from a super cheap and visibly inferior blank, it's great but if I had taken the time and spent the cashola, it would be alot better. I guess I am advising you to buy a more expensive blank, even if you have to twiddle your thumbs till you can and the PVC pipe arrives. I doubt if you will regret it. Levi

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 09:35AM

For practice and something to do, why not, especially if you are new to the craft and do not want to spend a lot of $.
When I started I was buying a lot of old rods at garage sales and such just to re-build them for practice. A great learning
experience with little expense and most of the re-builds fished much better than when they were new from the factory!
Just don't expect them to perform like the higher end blanks.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.147.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 12:26PM

i'm with kevin on this. i mean if you just want something to play around with go inexpensive, sure, but why blemished? the cost? for $20 or sometimes less ($18/$19) you can get first quality batson RX6 (formerly forecast). i'm referring to fly blanks here. if you really REALLY want to save money, i'm with ray, find used stuff at garage sales, etc.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 17, 2005 12:40PM

As far as I can tell, their "Blowout" blanks are 2003 Forecast blanks which were a decent, popular, inexpensive blank! There are tons of them in use were popular.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.147.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 01:08PM

i have a couple of the older 2003 teal blue forecast fly blanks. and i have some of the newer truer blue RX6 (forecast ) fly blanks. there is a difference in quality of the product. obvious why the upgraded them. i've had sections of the fly blank come loose with the older ones while fishing. the older ones weren't plugged in the ends either. i don't recall real problem with straightness with the older ones but the newer version just seems higher quality. also, i don't like the older color. i do wish someone offered light blue inexpensive fly blanks... besides CTS.

a slightly nicer blank for an inexpensive price are the tiger eye blanks by the way... about twice as much as the forecast but still waaaaay cheaper than off the shelf rod manufacturer's offerings if you're just looking for winter practice.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 18, 2005 12:36AM

I do what Raymond talks about above, and give them to kids. I believe: If we don't get kids involved in something other than drugs, then we're gonna lose 'em.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.154.40.10.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 05:14PM

I built three of them and they are good rods for the money.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster