I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hey Tom Kirkman...How did you do it?
Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sea.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 16, 2005 12:31AM

Tom,

You have posted a photo of a plain purple butt wrap....with a white serpentine flourish. Very cool!

I understans how you started and finished the wrap. I"m not sure about the fixative to hold down the white thread. Was that CP spread on the purple and then immediately lay the white onto that "sticky" surface?

You mentioned you tried other fixatives, too. What did you use?

And did you ever post a picture of the multi-level butt you did like that?

Did you use the same fixative on the second layer after a coat of finish?

I like the look...and it is something I could even do....I think!

Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hey Tom Kirkman...How did you do it?
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 16, 2005 12:43AM

Keith,
Not to take anything away from Tom but I had a friend that used to make a weave of a speckled sea trout chasing a lure. Line was attached to the lure and curved back to the foregrip. He used fine gold or silver mylar thread which he arranged on the butt wrap that had been coated with Flex Coat color preserver. He used a long needle to put a curve in the line such as one gets when making a long cast.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2005 02:06AM

Keith,
Thanks for posting this question! I visit this board almost every day and I don't know how I missed Tom's photo!
That is one of the most interesting and unique ideas I have ever seen! So simple yet with more possibilities than
fish in the sea! I think Tom explained how it was done quite well.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: December 16, 2005 10:41AM

Can't find which photo is being discussed. Can someone give a link?? I search for Kirkman and get Nothing????????????

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: December 16, 2005 10:50AM

Tim,

Click on "Thread Art"....First picture shown.

Keith

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 16, 2005 12:18PM

To find a members gallery you must search under the first letter of the first name. K won't get you to Kirkman but searching under T will get you to Tom.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster