I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Think this is a nice Butt ?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: December 15, 2005 09:37AM

For a shimano shara 1500 8' spin, If any one has built one what do you think is good for transition guide sizes, using Titan guides, Thinking a 20 to start. Or 25 ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Think this is a nice Butt ?
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.tci.com)
Date: December 15, 2005 10:05AM

Never Mind can't go there! LOL!!

try a 25 or 30

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 15, 2005 10:07AM

No, but this is:
[www.fishingphotos.net]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: December 15, 2005 10:15AM

To bad you could not bend it and put it on the handle or blank ?
That is a nice butt !!

Ray
With 4-6 lb line ?? 30 ? Guy like the fact that it will hold a lot of smaller line ??? I have a 500 and it works great for 4 lb line Go figure.
I have a 1000 that I could use to size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2005 10:26AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 15, 2005 10:52AM

REEL: Shimano Sahara 1500 spinning reel (?) on an 8-foot rod blank.
What's the spool diameter and the shaft-height off-the-blank?
And the distance from the rod tip to the front face of the reel spool...?

Ain't the general guideline that the diameter of the BUTT guide on a spinning reel should be about 50% of the SPOOL DIAMETER,...?... That "guideline" [no pun intended] seems to assume a Y-frame ring guide is being used, which is the case for the NIAs.

The American Tackle "TITAN" NIA Guide Series (inverted A-braced ring) LQQKS like it has the same ring-height off-the-blank as the FUJI Concept Y-frame guides ("J" Series), for a given ring size. I do not have a set of the TITAN NIA guide series on hand.

BUT I am looking directly at the TITAN advertisement photograph which is on the endcovers of any of the recent issues of RodMaker Magazine. And you can also see for yourself the entire selection of TITAN Guides on page 2 of the new MudHole-2006 Catalog. ... It sure LQQKS to me like AmTack intended for the Titan NIA Series to have the same ring-heights as Fuji's Y-frame Concept guides for the xYAG (Alconite ring) or _YSG (SiC ring) Spinning Guide Series. [little "x" = B(Black) or C(Chrome)]

THEREFORE, you could probably save yourself at least $10-15 by simply using the much less expensive Fuji xYAG Alconite Y-frame Series as your Guide Set to decide your layout, until you wind up having a full set of Titan NIAs on hand as the real deal to compare for yourself. The dimensions of the NIA and _YAG series are probably so similar as to be considered equivalent for practical purposes during guide selection & layout.

Chances are, Bill, you can just keep a less expensive set of BYAGs (~ $25) on hand instead of a full set of NIAs (~$75) for your design and guide selection purposes before ordering exactly what you want (no more and no less).

Call your TITAN Supplier and ask them if NIAs are the same height as the Fuji _YAG. They should be able to provide a definite answer to that question of dimensional equivalency.

-Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2005 11:26AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.46.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 15, 2005 11:22AM

Cliff
As always you are full of information Pun intended LOL
The titans are just slightly lower then the fuji's. From what I have used. I am trying to talk him into a smaller reel. It will add weight to the rod and the blank is going to be a 8' 2 WT made to a spin. He wants a light rod for panfish real light.
I was thinking of a 20 but with that reel a 25 may be better. I do need to build up a stock of the titans, so getting more is better. Other then recoils I figured the Titans would be better for distance and weight.

Posted by: kim nordblad (---.elisa-laajakaista.fi)
Date: December 15, 2005 11:52AM

Hi Bill, I think a 25 or 30 would be good for that reel but not for a rod that light, a 2WT. I think it´s very light to build a spinrod out of that, but if thats what he wants then...
A shimano 1500 have mutch bigger spool diameter than a 1000.
I would try to talk him into a 1000 or maybe even a 500 and use a 25 maybe a 20 size buttguide to make for less weight on sutch a light rod.
thanks
-kim-

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.242.174.121.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: December 15, 2005 11:53AM

Bill,
My 1500 has a spool diameter of 37.25 mm. I have some Titans here if you need the layout.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.46.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 15, 2005 11:57AM

Yes if you would be so kind. Spencer

Thank you. Maybe email it so as not to fill up this board.

Date: December 15, 2005 12:20PM

Bill Boettcher wrote:
“Cliff - As always you are full of information Pun intended LOL”

Come on now – You all know that I am a religious FANATIC
when it comes to the practice of ORTHODOX Line Guide SPACING-ISM.

I’m just trying to make “A-TOME-MEANT” for my numerous “SPINS”.

LOL !!! , … -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.49.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 15, 2005 04:08PM

And with all the comedians out of work,

Posted by: Levi Farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: December 16, 2005 02:03AM

Off the subject,

Cliff, I wrote a short book back in 93 or 94, called the laymen's guide to non-specific quantitative terms. It was never picked up by a major publisher, but was much xerox'ed by the intelligencia. I think you would have dug it. No copies kept by me, sorry. Levi

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.9.21.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 16, 2005 06:03AM

Hay Cliff

You should put that " eye of God " up on the photo board. Some one will try to make a weave out of it ???
It would look real nice as a butt wrap

Date: December 16, 2005 10:13AM

Bill Boettcher wrote: "You should put that "eye of God" up on the photo board." , referring to a NASA computer-enhanced image of the Helix Nebula, which I sent out earlier this week to RBO friends via e-mail. ... Well, ...

GREAT IDEA, Bill ! , ... - DONE !!! Merry Christmas, -Cliff Hall+++

AWESOME EYE of GOD: Celestial Inspiration for Oval Pattern or Weave
[www.rodbuilding.org]

I guess a coronal pattern could be used to mimic this image, ... And the rest, I'll just leave to the "Wrap Masters" & "Wizards of Weave", because I'm still stuck on open diamonds. -CMH.

11:50AM - Photograph deleted from PhotoGallery by RBO Administrator. If you wish to see a *.JPG copy of NASA's image of this Helix Nebula, e-mail me and I'll ship it soon. cmkmhall@ufl.edu . -CMH.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2005 11:48AM by Cliff Hall.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster