I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permagloss as a thread finish?
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 05:50PM

I get the sense from what I've read here that most builders use permagloss to finish or refinish blanks, but not as a thread finish and was wondering why....too thin?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss as a thread finish?
Posted by: Rich Pomponio (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 06:02PM

Hi Steven!
Permagloss does well as a thread finish especially if you do not want a high build up of finish. I use it often on bamboo.If you want a high build it will take many coats.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 14, 2005 06:55PM

Many, Many, Many coats!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Fred Crum (---.accel.pas.earthlink.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 07:11PM

Steven;
The only draw back I'm aware of is that PG offeres NO UV protection, so your colors will fade. But it sure does give a real nice retro look to the threads. Try it, you just might like it.

Fred Crum
Dixon, Ca.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.119.40.69.ip.alltel.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 07:18PM

A couple of months ago Tom Kirkman put some pictures up on the photo board of a thread wrap, with varying numbers of coats. I don't know how to link things here, but you can go to the photo section and look at his entries. With a lot of coats, it looked really good.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 14, 2005 08:03PM

No finish offers UV protection to the thread, unless it turns brown. This Permagloss will not do.

It is an excellent thread coating, harder and more abrasion resistant than any epoxy, also more flexible. But even if you add additional coats and build great depth with it, it will not provide that smooth surface that epoxy does. It tends to have more of an "eggshell" look to it. Some like it, some don't. It's a matter or personal taste.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 08:32PM

Ok, I just found the permagloss discussion/photo's. Somehow I missed it when it was going on. Exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 08:45PM

I agree 110% with what Tom and Bill have said. It does take many coats (>7). I would like to add one comment: Once you have applied 3 or 4 coats, if you increase the speed of your drying motor to more than 40 rpm (even up to 100 rpm) you get better leveling but you will still need to add multiple coats. Even then, It is difficult to get as smooth finish as compared to epoxy. As Tom said it is a matter of personal taste.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 11:24PM

How many coats of PermaGloss are actually necessary for good protection? I like the look of 3 or 4 coats better than with 8 coats.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: December 15, 2005 12:10AM

Steven, I've gone to the method Stan Grace explained to me. I put one coat of Permagloss on the guide wraps and then my epoxy. It fills the tunnels well as it's like water off the brush. One time around the guide, leaving enough above the tunnels to fill them. I come back an hour later with the epoxy and get a great looking finish job without bubbles coming up from the tunnel area and know that I've got that great penetration and seal that I look for in guide wraps. Thanks, Stan, for giving me the idea.

Posted by: Pavel Novolokin (---.pppoe.mtu-net.ru)
Date: December 15, 2005 04:49AM

I use quite the same finishing technique as Randy: one coat of Permagloss, then one more of Regular/Lite build coat of epoxy. The only difference is that I let Permagloss to set up for a couple of days or so, before applying a coat of epoxy

Pavel,
Moscow, RU

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: December 15, 2005 07:44AM

In an effort to keep weight to the minimum on my guides, I've been using Permagloss exclusively for guide coatings on all my rods for two years now. No, it's not as pretty as epoxy. But I'll take stronger and lighter over pretty every time. I love not having to mix it and the quick drying time.

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (206.8.175.---)
Date: December 15, 2005 12:09PM

When I build rods for myself permagloss is my finish of choice. Epoxy may look better for the first couple of years, but after that it is permagloss hands down. Permagloss will not completely fill the guide tunnels, it has to much solvent and the finish shrinks as it dries. If I am doing a large guide, I will sometimes coat with a heavy coat of epoxy (I use system three clear coat, very thin) and then brush it almost all off. I let the epoxy cure for a week and then apply 3-4 coats of permagloss to all the guides. The epoxy build a shelf for the guide to sit on. The epoxy is probably overkill. The stuff as nails.

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (206.8.175.---)
Date: December 15, 2005 12:09PM

When I build rods for myself permagloss is my finish of choice. Epoxy may look better for the first couple of years, but after that it is permagloss hands down. Permagloss will not completely fill the guide tunnels, it has to much solvent and the finish shrinks as it dries. If I am doing a large guide, I will sometimes coat with a heavy coat of epoxy (I use system three clear coat, very thin) and then brush it almost all off. I let the epoxy cure for a week and then apply 3-4 coats of permagloss to all the guides. The epoxy build a shelf for the guide to sit on. The epoxy is probably overkill. The stuff as nails.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: December 15, 2005 04:54PM

Lighter finishes like permagloss and poly look very good after about 5 coats. You can still see and feel the texture of the thread, but I suspect they are plenty protected. Very hard to get that poured on look without using a heavier epoxy.

Posted by: Mark Gibson (---.ips.cpinternet.com)
Date: December 15, 2005 08:12PM

Good info, but I have to disagree with Tom on one small point. If the thread finish is stabilized with a package of UV absorbers, then those will help protect the threads, or any underlying surface as well as the bulk of the finish. Polymer films are often protected this way by applying surface coatings loaded with UV absorbers. The mechanism is similar to the way a sunscreen applied the surface of your skin works to absorb UV and reduce exposure to the surface.

There is an interesting twist though you would think that increasing the concentration of UV absorbers would be better, and it is as far as protection goes. But as usual there is a trade-off. Some of the more common light stabilizers can also be slightly reactive with epoxies. So in that case, depending on concentration, some of the UV stabilizers can significantly reduce the product shelf life.

markG

Date: December 15, 2005 10:31PM

True, but these aren't part of our epoxies or other thread coatings. What you see added (when it is, in fact, added) is a product to stop UV degradation of the epoxy itself, not that which lies underneath it. The type product you mention is not, to my knowledge, added to any of the popular epoxy finishes used by rod builders today. These "additives" increase the price of the epoxy and sadly, most of the companies that source epoxy for thread wrap coatings won't pay the cost of having them added.

In fact, the rule that holds true on nearly all thread wrap coatings used in the past few decades is this - if your epoxy turns brown, it will retard the underlying thread from fading as quickly as it would otherwise under a very clear coating, such as Permagloss.

Andy Dear's new Threadmaster does have actual UV absorbers (perhaps of the type you mention) and it will interesting to see how thread underneath it will hold color over time. We know the finish will stay clear, but have no idea if the thread underneath will be protected from UV.

Posted by: Mark Gibson (---.ips.cpinternet.com)
Date: December 16, 2005 08:38AM

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the follow-up and those are all good points. I'll have to go back and look at some of the labeling on a few of the finishes that I have but off the top of my head, I think that the language that Flexcoat, Classic Coat, and one of the Gudebrod finishes at least implies that they may be employing UV absorbers. I think it's a good distinction to make between UV absorbers (UVAs) which can reduce color fading, vs. a stabilizer package that quenches degradation of the material itself, but doesn't effectively shield the substrate. It would be interesting to scan some of these finishes to see just how much they're absorbing.

I also agree that there is a cost factor. But these types of additive packages tend not to be cost prohibitive, and they do add value so I'm surprised they aren't used in more of the rodbuilding finishes.

mark

Date: December 16, 2005 09:06AM

To my knowledge, they're only actually used in one to date - an absorber that is. I agree that a few nickels more per finish "kit" shouildn't be considered cost prohibitive, but in the current atmosphere of pricing wars, the companies selling rod finish pinch every penny they can.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster