I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decal Questions
Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 12:11PM

Just finishing up my first rod and wanted to order a decal or two and have some questions. Couldn't seem to find the answers on their, or this, web site:

1. What is your experience between the old and new waterslide material Decal Connection offers? Do you prefer one over the other?

2. How important is either the Micro Set or Micro Sol solutions and what is the difference between them? Do you use either? Are you suppose to use both?

3. Do you usually use two decals for such things as "Hand Crafted by . . ." and the rod specs or place all info on one?

4. Is there a minimum order charge?

5. Does the rod blank surface need any prep prior to applying the decal?

6. Do decals need to be coated with anything prior to finish being applied? I will be using FlexCoat Lite.

I know this is a lot of questions but , hopefully, most need only a brief answer.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decal Questions
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2005 12:39PM

Ralph
1 the new water slide paper is considerably stronger then the old with no additional thickness,most prefer it.
2 I rarley use micro set or sol but a lot of people find applying a decal with it easier and get good results
3 I place it on one decal- the longer and wider a decal the more difficult it becomes to get good quality generally better to order two of the same in case of a problem.
4 I don't believe there is a min order charge easy to check with them
5 You ned to apply a thin coat of finish on the blank where the decal is to be placed and allow to cure.
6 Decal Connection decals don't need to be covered with anything but wait 24hrs before applying the finish, I have done it in as little as 5 hours but the additional drying time is better
hope this helps
John

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: December 14, 2005 12:46PM

1. Difference is night and day. The new material is the way to go. Make sure you follow DC's instructions on how to release them from the paper.

2. Never used them, only water.

3. Depends on the size of the decal and the taper of the blank. The smaller the decal you work with, the better the end result. Sometimes use up to 6.

4. No

5 and 6. If you have a gloss blank, no. Just make sure it is clean. If you have a matte blank, you'll want to put down some finish first.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: December 14, 2005 12:58PM

My mistake misreading. For #6, what John said.

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 01:45PM

Ralph,
Jimi at Decal Connection is awesome. I can't say how the older decals were but the new ones are a snap to apply. My decal is about 2.5" long and I never have a problem. I always sandwich mine bewteen coats of finish because I like it to look suspended and glassy. In regards to #3 mine have my company name on top with "custom built by" underneath. I never put the rod weight or specs on the rod as each customer get a spec sheet with each rod explaining all that. That's just the way I do it. Certainly, Jimi gets thumbs up. Randy.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 06:03PM

I do not believe there is a min order required with Decal Connection. I just ordered 3 names to put on rods I've built for my nephews for Christmas from DC.

I use two seperate decals, one for spec's and one for the builder

DR

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 14, 2005 08:15PM

I usually put custom made for in one font/size followed by user's name in a larger more decorative font and underneath, I put Rod specs in a small font. All one decal. Iuse only the new paper (much stronger, easier to work with) I use Micro set.

There is no minimum order. I have often ordered one decal and had it in a couple days. I always order by e-mail to avoid any miscommunication on what I want.

You can get a whole sheet of Logo's done for a fraction of the cost! You can scan your signature and have that printed if you want

It's the only way to go!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sea.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 16, 2005 12:08AM

Jimi is terrific!

Go with the new waterslide.

Put a coat of FC Lite down first. Decal goes on this. One more coat usually does it.

They are almost foolproof. And look great.

Used white on my last rod.....Very nice.

Keith

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com.136.174.12.in-addr.arpa)
Date: December 17, 2005 11:15AM

I will normally do one logo that contains my company name and rod details. This decal is generally sized correctly for smaller rods and I have the option of cutting it in pieces if I need to spread the info out on a larger blank. I generally do my logo on another decal. In the past there have been no minimum orders (I typically order two at a time from Decal Connection...one plus a spare just in case). Jimi has always gotten my order out in just a couple of days. I only hope the new owners will be as speedy and professional.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster