I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

It will now be a third time rebuild !
Posted by: Mal. Marlow (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: December 13, 2005 10:12PM

The Rod a Daiwa Powermesh 13 ft - 2 piece Steelhead Float Rod .
(Model # PP132-2RS) Daiwa Carbo Whisker - 1/16 - 3/8 oz lures
6 to 8 lb line.

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR ROD .... ?

1/ - Originally a factory built rod.

2/ - Rod re-wrapped new high frame SIC's fitted ! (not my work - done by previous rod buider)

3rd Time now I'm planning a tip to butt "complete re-build" (including new handle)

The rebuild was done using the original factory guide positions.
My plan is to change positions of the guides as per this board and use the guidelines as noted in the library (static guide placement)

This particular rod blank has beautiful underlying black cross-weave. As is obvious because of the new guide position there will be areas that need to be cleaned and the blank either re-varnished (?) or re-varathaned (?) suggestions here ... ! the next step will be to next position guides then wrap in the "normal way" !

As nearlly all my previous rods have been built from scratch - I'm wondering if there is anyone that could give me some guidelines here in making the areas like new - I do appreciate this will take considerable time and patience to do this properly. I do not want to to damage the blank - when I clean it up.

Can anyone give some help here OR make some suggestions on how I can tackle this project ?

Many thanks
Mal. Marlow

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: It will now be a third time rebuild !
Posted by: Lou Perez (---.nyc2.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 10:05AM

I would proceed to remove the guide wraps by cutting on top of the guide foot and peeling off the thread and epoxy. This will be easier if you use a blow drier to lightly heat the wraps first. Be careful not to overheat the blank as you will definitely damage it and possibly melt it.

As for removing the remaining finish, try denatured alcohol and keep chipping off as much as possible with a dull exacto blade held at a 90 degree angle against the blank. Lastly, you can use grey ultafine scotchbrite or 000 and 0000 steel wool to get the remaining finish off. if you use the latter, you will need to do the entire blank and remove the gloss from the entire blank. Then, you can either leave it as a matte blank or use permagloss or a spar urethane to finish the blank. Do a search her under blank refinishing.

I recently did a Fenwick Fenglass 6ft 5wt and left it as a matte blank. I actually like the way it looks and it definitely is a lighter blank with the gloss removed.

Good Luck.

Lou

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: December 14, 2005 11:22AM

As Lou says, the easiest method is to strip the blank bare. However, if you want to save the paint, carefully peal the epoxy off and lightly sand the top coat where the old guides rested with 1000 grit sandpaper, then buff the entire blank with 0000 steel wool and put on a couple of coats of polyurethane with a coffee filter.

Posted by: Mal. Marlow (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: December 15, 2005 01:31PM

Don and Lou - Thanks for your response.

Could you give me some clarification on which is better for the actual rod finish
either the permagloss, or the polyurethane !
Don't even know where to start with the application using a coffee filter - could you tell me how ?

Many thanks
Mal.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 15, 2005 03:39PM

Mal,

I use Spar Urithane, using the Tom Kirkman method modified slightly. Instead of using a split sponge paint brush, I use about a 2" slice of sponge split a little more than halfway. I then soak my sponge in the urithane. Having my blank hanging with the tip end down, and using rubber gloves, I wrap the sponge around the butt end then slowly and evenly pull down to the tip end. I let the urethane dry completely and repeat. I find that 2 coats is usually good, but you can do as many as you think you need. Works awesome. Try to have as dust free an environment as you can.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster