I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Steelhead - all arounder
Posted by: Kenneth Prager (---.nas22.washington1.dc.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: December 12, 2005 03:07PM

I have been asked to suggest & build a multi-piece travel rod to be used for steelhead and as an all around trout rod. I am asking the board for suggestions on a blank that I can use to fit this requirement.
Thx in advance,
Regards,
Kenneth Prager

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steelhead - all arounder
Posted by: Nick Dazer (204.200.228.---)
Date: December 12, 2005 07:57PM

Without knowing what steelheading technique will be used, it's a little tough. That said, it sounds like a 3 or 4 piece fly blank in the 8'6" to 9-foot, 6-7 wt. range, built as a spinning rod, would fit the bill. That rod could competently throw light spoons/spinners, bobber/jig, drift fish, or side-drift.

Nick Dazer
Portland, Oregon

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2005 08:48PM

Yep! I second Nicks comments!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ma-cambridg0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: December 13, 2005 12:24AM

Dan Craft 9 ft 6 wt 4 piece FT blank would do it. It would give you a rod that will throw a little more accurately and a larger variety of presentations than the average fly blank due to the faster tip. Most fly blanks are only good at "hitting the water" sidearm casting, but don't work well in an overhead cast due to their tendency to lob cast in big high tree and brush catching arcs.

Posted by: Kenneth Prager (---.nas22.washington1.dc.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: December 13, 2005 08:44AM

Thx for the suggestions
Regards,
Ken

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: December 13, 2005 10:25AM

If you're looking for a fly rod...Which your e-mail didn't specifically mention...that would cover steelhead AND trout situations....then Spencer's suggestion is right on. The 9 ft 6 wt Dan Craft FT would fill the bill nicely. For steelies alone....the 7 wt FT would be a better fit, I think.

If you're at a drift or spinning rod....look at the Rainshadow IST993.....8 ft 3 inches, rated for 6-10 lb line. I just built one just for steelhead...and I've very impressed so far.

Keith

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: December 13, 2005 12:49PM

Dan Craft built his FT based rod out of the 6 wt. Talking to the Batson boys they say the IST 993 isn't very popular, but I've built about a half dozen of them including one for the son (spin) and myself (cast). Really like the fast tip in the smaller streams and brush/logjam fishing with spinners.

Posted by: Kenneth Prager (---.nas18.washington1.dc.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 13, 2005 03:05PM

Yes, Keith - was looking for a fly rod suggestion. I haven't built on any of the DC rods yet, but this will give me a chance to get started. It's hard to believe that only one blank fits the bill. Maybe every steelheader uses a specialty rod for their outings. I would have thought that someone out there has used an all around rod/blank for multi use
regards,
Ken

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: December 13, 2005 06:19PM

Hi Ken,

There are lots of blanks out there that will fill the roll your looking for it to.....

Almost any 9 ft 6 wt would work, for example. If the steelies were all small a 9 ft 5 wt would work.

But a lot of us really like the DC blanks.

I think the Rainshadow's are very nice, too....and the Forecasts I've built have been surprising...for very low cost.

But Dan's blanks stand out.

Good luck..

Keith

Posted by: Russ Wilson (---.nas45.washington1.dc.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: December 13, 2005 06:29PM

Kenneth
I like a 9'6" 6wt. 3 piece RX 7 Rainshadow from Batsons. The steelhead have worked this rod over. It has preformed very well. This is the rod I use for steelhead and trout the most.

Posted by: Kenneth Prager (---.nas115.washington1.dc.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 09:20AM

Thx Russ & Keith. All the salmon steelhead rods I have built have been made for fishing the Salmon River in NY, and most were two-handers. I will evaluate the 6 wts available and give one a try. I'll let you two know how the customer likes the selection.
Regards and happy holidays,
Ken

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster