I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide prep questions
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2005 08:51AM

Do you use anything to protect the blank from a guide's foot rubbing on it, if you don't underwrap? It seems to me that even if you smooth out the bottom of the foot there will still be some damage to the blank as the finished rod is used, since it's still metal on graphite.

I like the idea of underwraps but want to use titanium framed guides... the extra weight of finished underwraps, in my mind will negate any advantage of the extra light guides.

What do you guys think? Can I use something like Sof-tex or a rubberized paint to coat the underside of my guide feet?

Thanks for any insight,

-Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide prep questions
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2005 09:26AM

There is no need to do anything like that. The guide will not hurt the blank provided there are no sharp edges of burrs protruding into the blank and the guide sits nice and flat on the blank. Thread tension should be snug, not tight. After wrapping, you should be able to nudge the guides into alignment with moderate pressure.

For more information on guide prep, see RodMaker volume 8 #1.

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2005 09:50AM

Tom,

Thanks for the info! I do consider it a priviledge to get advice from the man who "wrote the book" on rod-building! (how many times have you heard that before?) The back issue web page is down at the moment but i'll find it tonight and try to order.

Best regards,

-Keith

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 12, 2005 01:34PM

FYI: Calculated WEIGHTS for Guide Wraps can be found at: [www.rodbuilding.org] -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

TITLE: "Gudebrod Thread Table: Strength & Weight of Guide Wraps for Size 2/0 - E" ... For general reference, a Table of Calculated Strengths and Weights of UNFINISHED Gudebrod Thread Wraps for Sizes 2/0-E, for Silk, Regular Nylon, NCP and HT Metallics, assuming a thread wrap bandwidth of 1 cm, around a rod blank of circumference of 1 cm (OD = 1/Pi = 3.18 mm), is available at: [http://www.rodbuilding.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/759/cat/506/page/1
KEYWORDS: GUDEBROD; THREAD; Strength; Weight

Note that EACH 1cm wide band of UN-finished thread wrap around a rod blank of OD = 3.18mm (1/Pi) weighs about 20mg (Size-A), 25mg (Size-C or -D), and 35mg (Size E or HT-D).

It is difficult to estimate the weight of the rod blank in the immediate proximity of the guide being wrapped, because of the wide variety of rod blanks on which you may wrap these smaller running guides. But it is relevant to note that EACH 1cm wide band of UN-finished thread wrap around a rod OD = 3.18mm (1/Pi) is approximately 5-10% of the weight of a typical (not Titanium) single-foot guide (Fuji) that you may select for the job. Fuji xLxG-6MM-J = ~ 200mg; and xLxG-8MM-J = ~ 400mg.

Since the resonance frequency (RF) of the rod blank is inversely proportional to the square root of the total mass of the vibrating body (rod + guide + thread + epoxy), it takes a large increase in mass to effect a significant decrease in RF. But since an underwrap esentially doubles the contribution of the weight of thread to the total mass, this may be the case of the cumulative effects of saving weight on all aspects or components making a realistic improvement overall, rather than having too narrower or myopic a view of the situation.

I hope this systems-analysis approach lends some additional rationale to why saving weight may be important in your applications. It can also be used to help decide or predict if the total number of guides or their style may have an appreciable effect on rod "feel" or performance. One problem with guide mock-up is sometimes the weight of the rubberbands or tape is greater than the mass of the finished thread wrap, and that may exaggerate the weight of the guide selection and layout you are considering. -Cliff Hall+++

Keith - Your e-ddress is "Hidden". I can provide you with a copy of a *.DOC or *.PDF file that further discusses this RF and mass effect if you contact me directly.
Cliff Hall: cmkmhall@ufl.edu

Fuji Single-foot FLY guides: xxAG = Alconite. xxSG = Silicon Carbide
BLAG-6J - 0.19g
CLAG-6J - 0.20g
LSG-6J - 0.17g

BLAG-8J - 0.37g
CLAG-8J - 0.38g
LSG-8J - 0.34g

Fuji Guide Weights above courtesy of:
Alexander Chunikhin <[email protected]>

Posted by: Daniel Corbett (---.dsl.sfldmi.ameritech.net)
Date: December 12, 2005 02:14PM

Your blank will take much more abuse in and out of your rod locker than the guidefoot will ever will. LOL Like Tom said, why add weight when it's not necessary. Having said that, guide feet prep is important though. The blank does flex under those feet. A sharp bur will weaken the blank over time.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 12, 2005 09:42PM

"...IMO, an underwrap can improve the fit of the curvature of the underside of the guide foot to the rod blank’s radius; provide a cushion under the foot to protect the blank; and increase sliding friction; and damp any rocking fulcrum. IMO, -CMH. "
Re: how tight should wraps be Cliff Hall Nov. 16, 2005 11:31
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Two other Links to related discussions are:

Re: To double wrap or not CLIFF HALL 11-11-05 00:53
[www.rodbuilding.org]
I realize this may seem like a confusing distinction between two different restrictive forces: a FRICTIONAL force that prevents the guide from SLIDING around on the rod blank; verses a TETHERING force that prevents the guide from RIPPING away from the rod blank.

Thread Tension Measuring Device ?? Ken Driedger 09-07-04 12:25
[www.rodbuilding.org]
In this day and age of digi this and digi that, is there a simple inexpensive measuring device that measures relative thread pressure/tension/around a cylinder, such as a rod blank, …?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster