I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

590-4 XP guide sizes
Posted by: Kevin Birznieks (---.228.204.63.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: December 11, 2005 10:49PM

I'm guide shopping for my XP and I don't think I want to use the light wire snakes they call for on the Sage spacing chart. How do the light wire sizes translate to standard snakes? Should I use the light wire like they call for? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 590-4 XP guide sizes
Posted by: Zach Stowe (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 12, 2005 12:08AM

I built my 690 XP using the fuji titanium 12 high cast, 10 high cast, 10 fly, 8 fly, 6 ......... It does great (better than I do). On new TXL blank, I opted to go with the REC Single Foot, light wire. The only draw backs that I have found with the REC is that the guide foot is very long and requires careful grinding so that you do not break the spot welds, also the tip is not much to look at.

I definitely prefer the SIC inserts on my fly rods over 4 wt.

Hope that this helps. Have some good holidays.

zach

Posted by: Kevin Birznieks (---.228.204.63.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: December 12, 2005 12:17AM

I just built a rod with single foot guides and I hated working with them. I want to try the recoil snake guides for this, but I need to know what sizes to get. The chart is for light wire.

Posted by: Dan L Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: December 12, 2005 03:24AM

Kevin,

The sizes of wire guides are pretty universal. A #2 in a light wire will be close to a #2 in standard wire.

Dan Craft
Dan Craft Enterprises

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: December 12, 2005 05:03PM

I have tried the Recoil single-foot guides and don't like 'em. The thing that disturbs me most is the noise that they make when shooting line: a very mild screech. I believe the noise is created by the light wire, flexible guides vibrating from the friction of the line moving past them, like a violin string vibrating from the bow's friction. Oh, did I mention that I'm hard of hearing? (Seriously, I am.)

I recommend single foot guides with a ceramic ring insert for almost every rod. My favorites are the Titan guides by American Tackle. They have a long, shaped foot which helps in wrapping and eliminates any chance of pullout, and aren't as slippery as plated guides, for example Fuji. I hate working with slippery guides!

Use what you think is best; you're the builder.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster