I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Interesting Story
Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 11, 2005 01:44PM

I have been away on business, a lot lately. However, I managed to get a few days of fishing in between this weekend and last weekend.

Yesteday, I was wading in Galveston, Texas for the flounder run....It was very cold, and I was talking to a fella when he got hung up. The interesting thing was he started horsing this rod and moved one of his hands up 1/2 up the rod while continuing to horse it. I watched in awe as I new it was just a matter of time. Sure enough it snapped in not 2, but 3 pieces.....

The guy, was a real nice. But he got madder than @#$%& yelling about XYZ rod manufacturer is top of the line....He can't believe it happened, they owe him a new rod, after all they are top of the line...etc...

Now, in my mind I felt like saying it wasn't the rod but your misuse. Anyhow, I say the warranty post, and just feel this is worth a consideration.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Interesting Story
Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: December 11, 2005 02:07PM

One of the first things my freinds taught me when I started fishing was - If you snag, point the rod at the snag and pull the line.

Why do people not know this, I've always thought of this as basic information. Or were my early fishing experiences an anomoly.

Christian

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: December 11, 2005 02:26PM

I agree with Christian. I would sure rather break the leader and lose the lure or fly than have to get a new rod, even if I had to cut the line would be a lot less $$$$'s than a new rod.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 11, 2005 02:32PM

What you witnessed is what most fishermen would do in that situation. It never occurs to most that a fishing rod can break from anything other than a defect. Expensive rods are, after all, supposed to unbreakable. This is the mindset of the general fishing public.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.178.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 11, 2005 04:31PM

Jeffrey
I think you should have said some thing. At least tried to educate him.

Posted by: vance corbett (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: December 11, 2005 06:51PM

I get a real kick out of seeing things like this... I cannot help but laugh... Back in the truck I cry with laughter. I also laugh really hard when I watch the 250 pound professional bass fishermen on TV dressed up in what looks like a NASCAR driver's coveralls (maybe it's all those patches)... When they hook a fish they bolt upright out of their swivel chair and in one swift motion jerk the rod and reel up skyward over their right shoulder bending the rod almost half-in-two... 250 pound man... three pound fish... This is where the mindset of the general fishing public originates. Best, Vance

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 11, 2005 07:33PM

Most people who do this are just plain beginner fisherman. I saw a guy out in the bay in a boat. He snagged the bottom and his drag was tighter than a drum. The boat kept going forward and he just held his rod, watching it bend till it broke!

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 11, 2005 09:33PM

The rest of this story proceeds he went back to the car and got another rod....My buddy I were laughing hysteracially, his amazement after horsing that thing like it was iron was something else. We didn't think he would make it back, he did 20 minutes latter. He proceeded to wade back out and in the process his do-net caught a rock and flipped his tackle went all over, he got back some plastics....He ended up catching one, and lossing two at the net. We felt bad for the guy gave him our fish, as he was having an expensive trip.....

vance corbett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I get a real kick out of seeing things like
> this... I cannot help but laugh... Back in the
> truck I cry with laughter. I also laugh really
> hard when I watch the 250 pound professional bass
> fishermen on TV dressed up in what looks like a
> NASCAR driver's coveralls (maybe it's all those
> patches)... When they hook a fish they bolt
> upright out of their swivel chair and in one swift
> motion jerk the rod and reel up skyward over their
> right shoulder bending the rod almost
> half-in-two... 250 pound man... three pound
> fish... This is where the mindset of the general
> fishing public originates. Best, Vance

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 12, 2005 10:01AM

Last spring I donated a rod(nice one too) to an all night grad party for a door prize. I put a note with the rod giving a description, line weight, lure wieght, care etc. The very next week I was talking with the women that I gave the rod to and she said the kid that won the rod broke the rod 1st time out. I was sick to my stomach. The blank was an unsanded blank so there was no warranty, but I spent hours on a custom birch handle and a closed wrap.

She said her son had talked to the kid that broke the rod and he was over on # test for line and basically did the same thing on a snag. I offered to try and repair and never heard anything more. later that month I hear that this same kid did the same another rod. Man you get a decent quality graphite rod and there is no way it will stand up to that kind of abuse. These things ain't ugly sticks. Some that fishes like that needs to shop at Walmart for fishing rods:(

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster