I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PacBay Power Wrapper - opinions please
Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: December 10, 2005 05:41AM

Long enough I've been using temporary cardboard box ;) or not so well thought out home made wrapping stands. The offer campaign that Pacific Bay has on their power wrapper RW-3L + the free dryer cought my eye. Now I'd like gather some opinions about the quality, characteristics etc. of the wrapper. Any input is very much welcome. Also opinions on other similar wrappers compared to the PacBay are welcome.

The characteristics that I am looking for are that it is of good quality, can be devided into shorter sections or extended when needed, possibility for turning grips to mention a few. I'll be mostly building trout fly rods with it but most likely some double hamders as well.

Cheers!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PacBay Power Wrapper - opinions please
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 10, 2005 08:08AM

I bought one on special at Charlotte last year and have been completely pleased with the operation and sturdiness. It really is a well done machine. The specials they run with the second drying unit added makes this a hard thing to turn down. I also use the gizmo as a high speed finisher at approximately 200 rpm for clean edges. I would highly reccomend the metal chuck upgrade - I got it and think it is an important addition. I still do all my butt wraps and guide wraps on a manual set of blocks due to habit, speed and comfort. I use the wrapper for underwraps and final sanding and buffing of cork grips.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2005 08:41AM

I got one a few years ago and upgraded it with the metal chuck last year.It adds to the trueness and sturdyness when you turn grips.Also the original chuck had a habit of loosening up during the drying phase and the rod would stop turning or worse fall out.For a hobby builder it is a good unit.The support stands that I have needed a little tweaking but I here the new ones are better.The thread carrage and tensioner are a place for improvement however.Some photos on the photo page show some ideas how to upgrade it.I thought I heard a rumor that a better one was in the makes but havent seen anything yet.I also made a plate to mount the old chuck in a reverse direction one the base to support the other end of the mandrel when I turn grips(sort of a live center but not really).Overall it is a good unit but with a little time and money it can be great.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 10, 2005 11:07AM

Mikko,
I've got the American Tackle wrapper which I think is very similar to the Pac Bay model. It works fine but I agree with Fred that the chuck could be much better. Mine loosen's up all the time. I think that is a pretty good deal for both the wrapper and dryer. Randy.

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: December 10, 2005 04:15PM

I'll bet if you order one from one of the vendors on the left that will be attending the show, they will bring it with them and you can save shipping. The dryer deal, plus the no shipping, makes for a sweet deal. That's where I got mine last year, at the show. If you aren't planning on turning handles, the basic chuck will suffice. I use a PSI for handles & seats, so I opted for the standard chuck with the AmTack/Pac Bay version.

Posted by: Scott Wood (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 10, 2005 07:39PM

Yep - the chuck upgrade is necessary IMO. I haven't bought the new chuck yet and have to tape the rod to the "factory" chuck to keep it from coming loose.

/Scott

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 10, 2005 11:07PM

FYI - for those of you that have the Pac Bay wrapper with the standard chuck - I've found that taking a couple of tight turns of masking tape around the three fingers of the chuck after you have place the rod in it keeps it from coming loose.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 11, 2005 12:26AM

I really don't think that you should have to use masking tape, rubber bands, etc to make a $300 product work as it is intended to work. It is a poorly designed, faulty chuck that the companies should replace or at least redesign on the new models, instead of selling a "new, improved" chuck for $75.

I guess as long as people continue to buy them, there is no reason to fix them

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 11, 2005 01:28AM

Mike,
Your absolutely right. I get very frustrated every time I (repeatedly) have to crank down the chuck. It really gets amplified with the larger butts of the heavier saltwater blanks. I'm going to bite the bullet after XMAS and buy a Renzetti. Randy.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 11, 2005 02:23AM

I really think that the Pac Bay, Amtak, Batson lathes, with the exception of the chuck, are very nice wrappers and would probably buy one except I really don't feel that anyone should spend $300 for a product that the manufacturer knows has a faulty chuck that I will have to buy a replacement chuck for it to work as intended. I may be asking for to much when I expect any product that I purchase to perform as designed without haveing to purchase replacement parts or use tape, rubber bands, etc.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.155.211.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: December 11, 2005 02:29AM

I also have the AMTAC version of the lathe , it's the single best investment I've made in the 4 or 5 years I've been building rods . I also just tape the chuck when dryng , though I do agree with Mike . The second drier , great for the single sections to dry on when you need the lathe to do some wrapping , doubles as a butt wrap stand too . Go for it , Have fun . John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 11, 2005 09:08AM

Mike,

I absolutely agree. They should fix the chuck. I 've had my Rodsmith wrapper for about three years know. If they sent me a new improved chuck, I'd be very happy. But I'm not holding my breath.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: December 11, 2005 10:21PM

I agree with the above. Anyone who purchased one of these various machines should be at least given the opportunity to upgrade a faulty chuck for a reduced price.

I use the upgraded Pac Bay chuck and support on a homemade wrapper and have found it works great - grips well, turns true, doesn't oscillate, etc

However, It doesn't make good customer relations sense to not offer the improved chuck to recent wrapper purchasers at some sort of discounted price, knowing full well that the old chuck was faulty.

Stan

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.227.252.58.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: December 12, 2005 09:11PM

$75 for the alluminum chuck upgrade? Where?! I've only encountered them listed for $95.95, adding further insult to injury! I concur with the recommendations above, especially the one's about getting the improved chuck. Without it, you might as well "chuck" the whole wrapper! My .02.

Torin

Posted by: Bill Ewing (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2005 04:17PM

I have to agree with all the chuck related problems with the Pac Bay unit.
I purchased mine 15+ years ago . I bought wrapper from a rod components
shop in Sloatsburgh NY. I should have returned it but at the time the Clemens
unit that was available cost more than I was willing to spend. Overall its a good wrapper
and the price has only gone up 20 bucks since I purchased mine.

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: December 14, 2005 12:45PM

Thank you very much everyone for your input! :D

Some time ago I noticed that the PacBay deal is valid only in the US. Since I am from Finland it's a bit out of my reach - as is unfortunately the Charlotte show too. ;) Otherwise I would have been there.

However I found out that Fishsticks4u has the (same) Forecast wrapper on a similar sale deal too. Thus I've contacted them.

Cheers!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster