I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

glueing longer cork grips
Posted by: Stefan Scherf (---.pools.arcor-ip.net)
Date: December 09, 2005 05:38PM

I glue my cork grips with a wood glue (I think similar to Titebond) on a threaded rod. So far no problem.
Now I want to glue a longer grip for a switch rod from 0.25'' champagne cork rings. So I need approx. 45 rings ... twice as many cork rings than using 0.5'' rings.
Do you think there is a limit how many rings I should glue in one step? Or can I glue together all the 45 ore more rings in one step?
Thanks,
Stefan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: glueing longer cork grips
Posted by: James Mello (---.haydrian.com)
Date: December 09, 2005 06:08PM

Stefan Scherf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I glue my cork grips with a wood glue (I think
> similar to Titebond) on a threaded rod. So far no
> problem.
> Now I want to glue a longer grip for a switch rod
> from 0.25'' champagne cork rings. So I need
> approx. 45 rings ... twice as many cork rings than
> using 0.5'' rings.
> Do you think there is a limit how many rings I
> should glue in one step? Or can I glue together
> all the 45 ore more rings in one step?
> Thanks,
> Stefan
>

We did a mooching rod that took nearly 30 rings of normal cork with only a few problems. I would definately do it again as doing it in multiple stages would suck, but I would redo it with the following things on my mind

1) Use rodbond for the rings. The long set time is your friend. We did and it was one of the better decisions we made.

2) Don't use a screw down 2 post clamp. We did and it sucked. Go out to Home Despot (Depot), but one of the larger triggered wood clamps, drill holes in the end, and use that. Way faster to get it in and out of the clamp in case you need to make adjustments.

3) Use a *lot* of rags to wipe the cork down after you give it an initial squeeze and liberal amounts of alcohol. We didn't and the rod bond took forever to remove from the grip cleanly.

4) Don't use too much pressure when clamping. We did and we ended up having to "correct" the error by slicing the affected rings out and regluing the messed up parts.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster