I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Warranty for a Custom Rod
Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: December 09, 2005 04:57PM

Custom rod building here in Finland is very very small eventhough there are some gifted builders like Antti Kymäläinen around. It is really difficult to sell a custom built rod of any kind - especially if one wants to sell it even for a small profit to cover the building process not to mention the components. I've not started a business in this - just building for fun - but have tried a good few times selling some big brand Sage, Scott e.g. custom built rods that are so popular here. People are just not willing to pay anything for clearly better components and more thorough craftmanship - even if the blanks original manufacturer's guarantee could be given to the customer. So I've come to the conclusion that the crowd is hesitant in buying a custom built rod partly because of the "unconditional/no questions asked type warranties" that are so common these days.?

What kind of warranties or rebuilding deals you folks give for your work that will give the customer a "more safe approach" for buying a custom rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Warranty for a Custom Rod
Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2005 07:13PM

I provide a lifetime warranty on workmanship for the length of time the original buyer owns the rod. I also try to use blanks that have a good manufacturer's warranty as well. Both of these are explained in detail to the customer. Randy.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 09, 2005 11:06PM

Keep in mind that a lifetime warranty against defects is not the same thing as a lifetime warranty against breakage. Most breakages are not due to actual defects, but rather customer/fishing abuse. True, it's hard for any custom builder to provide such a "no-fault" warranty, but there are other avenues to take.

First, you need to reach the clientele that isn't being serviced by the commercial rod makers. The number may be small, but there are fishermen near you who would prefer something different in terms of action, handle or grip size, component configuration, etc. It's not always easy to reach them, but they exist. Same here in the States - customers for custom rods are few and far between, but they exist. When you find them, you will also find that having a no-fault warranty is not as important to them as having a rod that does what they want, in the way they want it done. For them, a routine warranty against actual defects is usually suitable.

In my experience, custom builders who make low price or no-fault warranties the mainstay of their selling points, usually end up not doing very well - they're chasing the wrong market.

Posted by: Bryan Thompson (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2005 01:25PM

What I do is give my customers a 2 year craftsmanship warranty, and the warranty supplied by the man. of components and blank. The other thing I do is have them bring $50 with the rod when they bring it in for warranty. I have yet to have a big warranty claim where it wasn't the owners fault. The customer usually doesn't mind paying the $50 either (new rod for $50 when the customer knows he/she did something they shouldn't have, not a bad deal). If the customer just has a guide replacement issue or something, that's free.

Be careful of how you word your warranty it holds a little legal power in the customers hand.

A great way to attract customers is to give them a test drive. I have 6 identical rods in my boat, with all different handle styles, guides, colors. When somebody sees my boat and asks what is Bt Custom Rods I let them fish with what they think they would like then you go next step and do what the customer asks to improve upon what he/she already felt. Most custom rods are better than factory rods. I keep 6 6'10" rods with three different styles of split grips, two different style spiral wraps, all different guides (fuji titanium, pacbay DPL and FX style guides, AmTak blue and holo guides). The tournament director at the last tourney I fished was talking about how great shimano V-rods were and he was @#$%& they stoppped making them. I told him while he's fishing during the tourney (not in it) take a pick of what rod you want to use off my deck (mid summer weed line fishing was the pattern of choice on this body of water and the all-star bast826C is an awesome blank). He used my rod and ordered one that afternoon. He said just the weight differnece was enough to buy one plus a v-rod is $160+ and It hurts to waste that kind of money when for just about $40 bucks more he gets exactly waht he wants. I think I'm done rambling. Later, Bryan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster