I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

created a monster
Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.los-angeles-09rh15-16rt.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 05:37PM

in a previous post i talked about a new skill making spigot ferrules. my first attept with a single piece rod that i converted to two piece. i had a three piece lamiglas 3wt (actually a two wt) and i have just converted it to six piece using spigot ferrules. have not cast it yet but the action has not changed although it feels somewhat stiffer. i guess since lami makes this same rod in a six piece i did not do any harm and now i have a light 7' rod that i can carry in a short 14" package. now i am looking all over for rods to "spigot". i have some old glass rods with nickle silver or chrome ferrules that i might convert. should make them lighter and more responsive. one thing i have noticed though is that many of those glass rods by silaflex and phillipson seem to have been made with two blanks with a stepped ferrule. might pose somewhat of a challenge to make a spigot ferrule that fits if i use hollow glass for the ferrule. where could i find some solid glass rod blanks real cheap that i could cut up for ferruling material. that way i could turn down the "step" without weekening the spigot. anybody done this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: created a monster
Posted by: Levi Farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: December 09, 2005 03:55AM

Maybe solid glass ice fishing rods? Do they (the "spigots") need to conform to a certain taper and length? Get a fiberglass kit, make a mold out of wood, and using the appropriate release agent, (look under canoe making), whip up your own "spigots"? I have no clue what you mean by "step". In my mind I have a fuzzy picture of what you mean, a rolled peice of matted glass scrim, and hardened resin is gonna be awefully resistant to shear stress, and fatigue fractures, even if its only like a 1/4 inch dia. Levi

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster