I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Heat Shrink Tubing
Posted by: Phillip Willms (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2005 03:42PM

What is your method of choice for getting those little buggers to shrink down? I tried a blow dryer, but it didn't move much. I also cut a little piece off and put it in the microwave and it shrunk down real good, problem is I can't fit a 9' rod in a microwave. So what do all of you guys use to shrink it down?
-Phillip

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heat Shrink Tubing
Posted by: Leon Mack (67.99.3.---)
Date: December 08, 2005 03:55PM

Phillip: I only had a short 3-4 inch piece and I had to run the blow dryer for at least 10 minutes before it really started to shrink down good.

Leon

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: December 08, 2005 04:24PM

You can use a lighter or your alcohol torch. Just keep turning the rod and don't let the flame sit too long in 1 place.

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: December 08, 2005 04:25PM

Get a heat gun. Sears and others carry them. Put out 750 degrees of hot air. They work very well for heat shrink. You can also try a propane torch but must be very careful not to melt the medium.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 07:45PM

Phillip,
If you are using a small piece of the shrink tubing you can get by with something like a lighter as was suggested. If you have a larger piece, like a whole handle, you will have a lot better luck with something that puts out a lot of heat but over a fairly large area like the heat gun Tim suggested. I think that if you start at one end moving the heat gun and rotating the rod to heat it up as uniformly as you can and as you see it start to shrink down slowly move the heat toward the opposite end you will have better luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2005 02:01PM by Emory Harry.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 08, 2005 09:07PM

Hi Phillip,

If you'll go to your local hobby shop you can pick up a Hobby Heat Gun for @$20. Doesn't get as hot as the industrial kind but will still be hotter than the blow drier. I bought one because I saw Ken Preston using it on his video. It also works good for softening up the epoxy on guides you want to remove, and bursting bubbles and leveling while on the drier. You need to remember not to hold it too long in one spot or get it too close.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 09:49PM

You can rotate the tubing over a bare light bulb as it will put out sufficient heat to shrink it. I would suggest using dark glasses if you do

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 10:16PM

What Stan Said....I use a rack of old 300wt Movie lights and they work perfect.....Have to wear sunglasses and keep it about 8" from the blank to keep from melting it.

Derek

A 60-80wt floodlight bulb would be just about perfect I think.

Posted by: David Wilson (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: December 08, 2005 10:41PM

I use a Heat Gun, one made by Milwaukee. Though, it is more expensive than what has been suggested here, but I also kep it as a work tool and my wife uses it as a part of here boat-building and custom upholstery work.

Posted by: Mike McGuire (---.snvacaid.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 11:39PM

I use a burner on top of an electric stove. I just keep turning it, adjusting the distance from it by observing the effect. Multiple layers of heat shrink tubing are my preferred way of building up an arbor for a reel seat.

Mike

Posted by: Skip James (---.ct.charter.com)
Date: December 09, 2005 09:00AM

Hey Guys,

I have used heat shrink tubing for years on cable connections in the telecommunications industry and use the current type available for rod building which doesn't have the extra weather proofing "goop" in it.

The best thing to shrink it with is the economical heat gun available at craft stores for shrinking plastic. They produce adequate heat for the process we're talking about here without the danger of overheating the tubing & rod too fast.

After positioning the tubing, apply heat to the tubing (heat nozzle @ 2-3" away) at the approximate center of the length of the tubing and start rotating the rod slowly as the tubing starts to shrink. The goal is to shrink the tubing uniformally and allow for air to escape as the tubing shrinks. As the shrinkage progresses, move the nozzle back & forth slowly, shrinking the tubing in both directions until the ends are shrunk. The tubing shrinks in diameter but not lengthwise which was a welcomed surprise to me as the type used in the telecommunications industry shrinks both ways.

If applying the heat shrink and you apply extreme heat for too long, it will scortch the tubing. In that case, stop the heat application & remove the tubing to start over with a new piece. This can happen very fast if using a torch or open flame to apply heat with.

Skip

Posted by: john becker (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 09, 2005 10:17AM

I pour boiling water over the shrink tube - safe if done with care and a nice even application of sufficient heat as the water runs round and down the tubing

Posted by: James Mello (---.haydrian.com)
Date: December 09, 2005 02:52PM

Phillip Willms Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is your method of choice for getting those
> little buggers to shrink down? I tried a blow
> dryer, but it didn't move much. I also cut a
> little piece off and put it in the microwave and
> it shrunk down real good, problem is I can't fit a
> 9' rod in a microwave. So what do all of you guys
> use to shrink it down?
> -Phillip

So dumb question... What are you using it for? I saw that someone is using it to build arbors for reel seats, but what are some of the other uses?

-- Cheers
-- James

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: December 09, 2005 04:09PM

i use the heat shrink material for covering cork grips, from golden witch. adds a nice touch for the occasional rod i deliver to a friend. i have been using a hair dryer and it did take several minutes i think, at least a concerted effort to get it started shrinking and complete, yet not 100% to my satisfaction. i think the electric stove burner is a great idea and i'm whackng myself up the head for not thinking of it sooner. great idea without additional expense of me. i'll have to try it next time.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 09, 2005 07:22PM

I use it to make grips. Using cord I wrap the grip area in a pattern that I like and whip the ends with thread. Cover the cord wrap with the heat shrink tubing and heat.....Instant, patterened grip.

Derek

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster