I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Morton Graph
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: December 07, 2005 10:30AM

What issue of RodMaker did Don Morton's graph appear? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Morton Graph
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 07, 2005 10:58AM

It didn't as far as I know. It can be purchased from Mudhole

Mike

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2005 11:06AM

Actually it did, I'd have to go look it up, but Don outlined the system in a complete article done back in '01 I think.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2005 11:27AM

There is a point that should possibly be made here about the Morton graph.
There have been many discussions here about whether or not an equation could or even should be written that would lay out guides and their spacings or not. If you believe that an equation can not be written to accomplish this at least without some tweeking of the guide positions because of the individual differences in blanks then the same thing is true for the Morton graph because an equation can be written for the graph that would result in exactly the same guide positions as the graph dictates.

Posted by: Anonymous User (163.206.192.---)
Date: December 07, 2005 11:43AM

When you position the flexed blank over the graph the individual differences in the blanks will result in different guide locations.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: December 07, 2005 12:02PM

RMM Vol 4, Issue #6. Also see Vol 4, Issue #5.
Stan

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2005 01:28PM

Mike,
Yes, I understand. Maybe I did not express myself clearly. My point was that those that believe that an equation can not be written that will take into account all of the variables then they logically have to think that the same thing is true of a graph because an equation can be written for the graph. And an equation can be written for the stiffness or flex of the blank as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2005 01:31PM by Emory Harry.

Date: December 07, 2005 02:05PM

Right, it's just easier to use such a graph as all the math has been done or is done, while you're using the graph - it's behind the scenes. Just like using a computer - the math involved in each act is hidden behind the interface; the user never has to bother with it. This is one of the interactive methods that I spoke of earlier and another reason why I think such methods are far easier to use.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 07, 2005 11:34PM

If you have the new MUD-HOLE 2006 Catalog, page 94 has a picture of the “Don Morton Equal Angle Line Guide Spacing Placement Grid” ($55). Since I don't have a Morton Grid, I am not sure I "see" or understand how it accounts for a wide range of different rod TAPERS and LENGTHS, and how the Grid design determines the correct location of the CENTER of the rod's curvature.

But that may be MY problem, and not a limitation of the actual graphical grid. I do see the approximately parallel or nearly concentric curves along which the rod may be curved. I guess they account for the differences in rod length and taper (within a certain range). But I am in the process of asking myself if the two fixed points (one for the rod butt, and a clamp for the rod tip) FORCE a certain curvature. Or if the fixed points FIND a natural loading curve for that rod blank, without placing too artificial a constraint on the loaded rod’s curvature. …

It may not make much difference, ... and that uncertainty (or skepticism) may go beyond my superficial question. For $55, it sure looks as scientific as you can get (and avoids the mumbo-jumbo). The Morton Grid is tangible, visual, interactive and sure looks easy to use. The Morton Grid should definitely take a lot of guess-work out of the guide-spacing process, at whatever level of expertise you are at. And, as far as a wall-hanging goes, it is much less objectionable to the Mrs. than the old holiday tool calendars, ... -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

P.S. - I just checked 5 VERY different rods, 2 or 3 at a time (5’UL-Fast, 6’-Light-Fast, two 6’6”-Med-F and a 7’-XXHeavy-SLOW blank, from the top section of an old 9’ Surf rod ferruled at the reel seat). Tips down in the carpet, hold the handles together, and push them down, until the tips were parallel to the floor. To my surprise, they did form very similarly shaped curves, which implies a common center. So, if that is how the Morton Grid works, it looks like another “LGTM” method & device. I don’t have 5 floor-mounted rod holders to use while tying the rod tips to the wall or floor at a 90 degree angle of deflection. Such a test is more like an actual load from fishing, because the carpet has a tendency to push the rod tip backwards. But it does look like this Morton Grid is a pretty neat tool, … IMO, –CMH. [“Looks Good To Me”]

Date: December 08, 2005 08:40AM

The plotting lines extend outward from a central point, thus they will hit or intersect different length and/or different taper rods at different locations, but always at the same angles.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster