I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

so what
Posted by: Philip Ewanicki (---.ras02.mia01.dial.cogentco.com)
Date: December 05, 2005 10:08PM

I've spent half my life re-inventing the wheel, so this "tip" is probably a "so what?" to most of you. I have found #10 spectra ideal for pulling tag ends under wraps. It's wicked thin, super slippery, and leaves no residue. It's also hard to see, so I tie a plastic bead on one end of the doubled loop. The beaded, non-working end of the loop conveniently wraps itself around the blank out of the way while winding, and a flick of the finger against the bead conveniently unwinds the loop from the blank before pulling the tag end through.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: so what
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.224.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 05, 2005 10:22PM

That stuff is great. I use 4 LB test. The smallest I could find.

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 05, 2005 10:31PM

Watch the Fire Lines they're waxed! I guess I could have used that one in the Stupid Human Tricks Thread. Oh well another lesson to remember.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.224.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 05, 2005 10:38PM

That is what I am useing, no problems.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 05, 2005 10:49PM

So what if it is an old idea. A lot of new rod builders are on board that may not know that Spectra. Power Pro or other similar products make great pull through loops. But as you say , put a bead on it to keep from losing it.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 05, 2005 11:56PM

I have been using pieces from a spool of fireline for years with no problems either. I did notice that it is coated but this has not effect on the finish...

Lou

Posted by: Nathan Brock (---.mkethn01.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2005 02:27AM

I'm still using up an old spool of the original 30# Spiderwire. It definitely wasn't any good as fishing line. Bought two spools, buy one get one free, from a local tackle shop that was closing. Spooled a spinning reel with one, but tossed it after a couple weeks use. The other spool has been handy for pull loops and many other assorted projects over the years. Tuf-Line and Power Pro are what I use on a lot of my reels now.

Nathan

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: December 06, 2005 09:45AM

On spinning rods I love the stuff. It does not hold the pig tails as mono does. Ya have to use a mono leader cause it don't break !!??

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 06, 2005 09:48AM

Bill, what do you mean it doesn't break? It breaks a lot of spinning rods, sometimes in 3 or 4 pieces when they blow up!! LOL!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: December 06, 2005 09:49AM

One tip I got the last time this subject came up, was to replace teh bead with a piece of yarn. The bead is heavy, and will often go on the wrong side fo teh thread, especially when you are not careful, drunk, or did a difficult guide wrap. The yarn is light, and allows teh tie off to lay parallel to teh blank, and it is much easier than teh bead. Thanks to however gave that tip ou thte last time.

Power Pro, I find needs to either be used and cleaned with Denatured, or not used and cleaned with denatured. I have had teh residue, which ends up all over my reel, fingers and everythign else the first tim eI used it - end up on teh edge of teh thread where I pulled through, and more often than not I'll get a Fish eye bubble in this area. A wipe of denatured has fixed that for me.

Date: December 06, 2005 10:07AM

Putter
You mean it is " too strong " and over powers the blank ?? Well that is why I use a mono leader. This way it breaks instead of the rod, or I have to cut the line when caught on a rock or tree stump or shopping cart . LOL

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 06, 2005 11:59AM

Great minds think alike evidently as I too prefer yarn for the same reason Billy cites.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Date: December 06, 2005 12:07PM

I got to try that washing with alcohole thing, makes sense.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: December 06, 2005 02:27PM

I didn't wash it like in a dishwasher, just dipped it and wiped off teh excess.

Randy - you could use 1000# braid on those Spinning rods, and never break one. You have to adjust the drag, and fish with a Mono leader as Bill suggests. I use 50 & 65# braid on rods rated 10-30#s, never had one break from the no stretch in braid, nor will I.

However, I had a friend blow up a rod using braid, so I know what you are saying.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.67.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 06, 2005 05:00PM

I was just going to put a little alcohole on a paper towel and wipe off about three or four yards of it.
Then rape that on a bare spool.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: December 06, 2005 07:05PM

Yeah, Billy & Bill; I've never broken a rod in my hand while fishing-I have dropped my 25 HP outboard in my river boat on a few of them, though. It's my customers. And 99% of them are using Fireline when they break 'em. Mostly in pole holders in the boat while trolling. "I heard a snap, turned around, and it was in two pieces. But the lure was free; it couldn't have been stuck that hard?" If I've heard that story once, I've heard it 20 times in the last few years.

The drags aren't set right AND they're overlined (and not watched).

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.67.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 06, 2005 07:21PM

Like fly fishing, a leader that breaks first, before the rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster