I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Repair Weathered Graphite Rod Finish
Posted by: Skip Kerwin (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 08:57PM

A guide / friend of mine spends a lot of days on the water. His favorite OLD custom rod has been subjected to sun and weather for a number of years, especially on one side. The bad side is dull and a little rough, the "shaded" side is nicked up but looks smoother and blacker. Naturally, the guide wraps are really beat up and are crumbling as well. I'm planning on re-wrapping the guides and I'd like to tweak up the finish on the blank as well. Should I just use a good grade of automobile polish (very fine rubbing compound) or is there something better?

Thanks

Skip Kerwin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Repair Weathered Graphite Rod Finish
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2005 12:03AM

Hi Skip,

Fairley new rodmaker here @ 1 year. But, most of what I do is refurbish old rods. If your going to do it, you might as well go all out. Especially if you put your name on it as the restorer. While you have it stripped down, use the grey scotchbrite pad and sand it down, then repaint it witha a good quality automotive spray paint. Let it dry for 3-4 days, then coat it the Tom Kirkman way with either Permagloss, or Spar urethane. By the way the Tom Kirkman way is to split a 1in foam paintbrush and soakit in whatever your going to coat with and start at the butt and work toward the tip. Putting the blank inside the split. I take it a bit further than that and use a piece of soft sponge cut at about a width of 2 in or so. Then split that about a little farther than half way, use latex gloves, and soak the sponge with watever I'm using to coat with. I use spar urithane and coat twice. Let the first coat dry then coat again. Works awesome. I'm sure someone else will chime in with some other ways also. If you have any other questions, shoot me an email.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.lax.centurytel.net)
Date: December 05, 2005 03:36AM

You did say these rods are graphite did you no? If those rods are as beat up as you say! You may be looking for trouble. The way it sounds those rods, are ready for failure. A nicked graphite rod well break. (I would not do the job)! Why does he not take the rods back to the guy who built them? Just my 2 cents for what it is worth
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2005 08:09PM

Bob,

You are right, I didn't pay much attention to the Graphite in his post title.

Skip,

You're better off taking Bob's opinion over mine, he's been at it a whole lot longer than me.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster