I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

surfrods
Posted by: alvester jones jr (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 04, 2005 03:43PM

hello every one i;m new to the site and to rodbuilding. boy do ihave alot of questions and don;t know where to begin. ..ok i live on longisland and i fish the ocean i see a lot of real nice rods but the prices can really put a dent in the pocket. so i need to learn how to build my own. but nothing fancy for right now,one step at a time

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: surfrods
Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.70.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: December 04, 2005 04:45PM

Click on the FAQs , library, and Glossary on the top of the page for starters ,there is a ton of info in them . You can also use the search button to look for specific items . If you are looking for parts , the sponcor list on the side of the page will lead you to unlimited products , just look around . When you have decided to ask a specific question , try a search first and see what you come up with . You can also scroll thru the endless previous posts pages , alot of times you will see the question you are about to ask already answered for you . Have fun , hide the credit cards . John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 04, 2005 05:03PM

The Flex Coat DVD, How We Do It, is a great beginner's guide to rod building. For more specific information, the Volume 7 #1 issue of RodMaker has a detailed article on building all manner of surf rods. For now, get the Flex Coat DVD, you can worry over specifics later.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 04, 2005 05:19PM

We have some great sponsors listed at the left side. I have ordered from several of them and have never been disappointed in their service. I recently ordered some standup blanks from Utmost Enterprises and from Lamar Reel Seats. These blanks will be made into rods for snapper and grouper fishing in the Gulf. I have to build several because my kids always want to borrow mine. I paid less than $30 a blank. I know I will save some money on these and I will have the rods I want or need for that style of fishing. From time to time our sponsors will have sales and you can get some blanks at a very good price. There will be an expense in getting started in rod building but it will all work out in the end. I started on a 9 wt. fly rod today that when finished I will have around $100 tied up in it. It will be as good as those $600 rods that I see in fly shops. I also got the blank at a discount from Lamar Reel Seats. This is a great hobby and I am sure you will enjoy catching fish on rods that you made.

Ellis

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 04, 2005 05:29PM

Another good video is the one by Doc Ski on building custom rods. He deals more with the heavy stuff but you will learn how to install butt grips and wrap guides. Tom is too modest. You shouldn't be without his book ROD-BUILDING GUIDE. It is a great book for anyone starting rod building.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2005 07:33PM

Alvester; The person you want to look up is Billy Vivona he is there in your area. He is the head of a group of Builder called the Nerbs (north east rod builders) or Abe goldberg the professer he's from Long Island. Billy holds building classes up there some where

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2005 07:34PM by Barry D Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: December 05, 2005 09:34AM

Alvestor. In additin to the references above, check the Rodbuilding forum + archives on stripersonline.com, and the noreast.com message boards. SOL is a surf fishing site, the top one in teh NOrth East, and there is info on every surf blank imaginable in the archives.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (---.serverman.de)
Date: December 05, 2005 10:52AM

The Rodmaker article on surf rods has to be the definitive work on the subject. It has anything and everything that's ever been done on surf fishing rods. Blanks, guides, handle lengths, how to match blanks to your customers size and strength, what holds up and what doesn't. It was really detailed.

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2005 11:09PM

Alvester , your email is hidden . Give me a call at 804-746-9711 . The way we have been sending surf blanks to NY and MD I thought every body there had one by now . We will be glad to help how ever we can . Robert w/ Fishsticks4u . We are on the sponsor list .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster