I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gudebrod Color Preserver - how to use it
Posted by: Jim Benenson (---.lcwireless.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 06:23PM

I like the results I get using Gudebrod Color Preserver on guide wraps. However, I find it a pain to use. The directions say to 'wipe excess'; doing so is laborious, unless I'm doing something wrong. It gels very quickly, much faster than epoxy, so by the time I try get rid of the excess, it is a mess. How do you use it? Do you 'wipe excess', leave it alone, or...?

Thanks for the help,

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gudebrod Color Preserver - how to use it
Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 07:05PM

Whenever I use the "milky white" color preservers, which I assume Gudebrod C.P. is, I apply two coats of 50% solution (thinned with water), followed by one coat full strength. I learned to do this with the old Clemens Brilliance and I continue to do it with other brands. It works well for me. After I've applied a coat, I just take a piece of paper towel and touch each wrap with it and let the excess get soaked up in the paper towel. You don't need to get it all off, just most of the excess. Wait a few hours between coats and at least 24 hours after the last coat before applying finish.

Posted by: Jim Benenson (---.lcwireless.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 07:15PM

Unfortunately, Gudebrod Color Preserver is not one of the 'milky whites'. It's a clear liquid that sets up much, much faster than they do, but it gives much better results. I have used yellow nylon and white silk(!) on a matte black rod and had no see-through. The stuff works really well, so I'm trying to find the best method of application. Thanks for the tip though.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 07:29PM

I assume that you are using the Gudebrod 811 CP. It's very good but the viscosity is VERY inconsistant between bottles. If it's real thick, you can cut with a small bit of alcohol to thin it and hang on until Andy Dear gets his new stuff on the market!!

Mike

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 07:30PM

DOP not listen to teh advice Rob gave you about thinning, he assumed wrong. I thin it with Denatured until it is semi-watery. Start with 10% De, 90% 811. and go from there. TEHre are a TON of posts in teh SEARCH feature on thinning 811S

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.103.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 07:44PM

i thin my gudebrod CP with water just like the bottle suggests. just a couple of drops of water (i use brita filtered water just to make me feel serious about it ;-) to where i have the CP awaitin' in a small plastic measuring cup. very unscientific measuring process, but you know what, it works for my infrequent use of CP

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 08:11PM

Eric,

Which Gudebrod are you using?? The clear 811 is NOT water soluable. needs to be thinned with alcohol. Bottle specifally states to thin with alcohol clean up with water.

Mike

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.103.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 08:23PM

this may be where i go "oops." ;-) i've never used alcohol for thinning the CP even though i have some denatured here for overall rodbuilding use. correctly or incorrectly i've used water.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.115.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 08:35PM

A lot of people here say they use water ?? Try the alcohol and see if it doesn't work better

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster