I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

11' 6" - 12' double hander for 250 grain shooting heads
Posted by: Robert Ketley (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 04:06PM

I want to build a lightweight double-handed fly rod to add to my growing arsenal of sticks. I am looking for something that is designed for 200- 250 grain lines. Is that something in the range of a 5 wt rod double hander? I will be using the rod to cast shooting heads, overhead style in the surf.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 11' 6" - 12' double hander for 250 grain shooting heads
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 04:11PM

R. B. Meiser Rods to the left. The two handed guru.

Date: December 03, 2005 04:36PM

Spencer:

I was looking at Bob Meiser's Trout series two handers, but am not sure what the grain window is for them. They seem to have the action I am after. I really need something that will balance with a 250 grain head.

Rob

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 04:53PM

Bob can give you that info, along with the lines and heads he's found that work with each blank. Think last week there was a guy looking for a two fister in a 5/6 wt for saltwater. shouldn't be back more than a few pages, the info may be there.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 06:11PM

This would be a good start, although asking the man himself would probably be the most effective :).

S2H106 = 10'6" 4 pc. S2H116 = 11'6" 4 pc.

S2H106<>TH 3/4 SH 6/7: BLANK WEIGHT<>2.4 OZ TIP DIA<>5.0 BUTT DIA<>.420 GRAIN WINDOW<>140-260

S2H106<>TH 4/5 SH 7/8: BLANK WEIGHT<>2.6 OZ TIP DIA<>5.0 BUTT DIA<>.420 GRAIN WINDOW<>180-300

S2H106<>TH 5/6 SH 8/9: BLANK WEIGHT<>2.8 OZ TIP DIA<>5.0 BUTT DIA<>.460 GRAIN WINDOW<>220-380

S2H106<>TH 6/7 SH 9/10: BLANK WEIGHT<>3.0 OZ TIP DIA<>5.0 BUTT DIA<>.460 GRAIN WINDOW<>280-450

S2H106<>TH 7/8 SH 11/12: BLANK WEIGHT<>3.2 OZ TIP DIA<>5.5 BUTT DIA<>.480 GRAIN WINDOW<>380-560

S2H116<>TH 4/5 SH 7/8: BLANK WEIGHT<>3.0 OZ TIP DIA<>5.0 BUTT DIA<>.500 GRAIN WINDOW<>250-350

S2H116<>TH 5/6 SH 8/9: BLANK WEIGHT<>3.2 OZ TIP DIA<>5.5 BUTT DIA<>.500 GRAINWINDOW<>260-420

S2H116<>TH 6/7 SH 9/10: BLANK WEIGHT<>3.4 OZ TIP DIA<>5.5 BUTT DIA<>.520 GRAIN WINDOW<>340-510

NOTE: TH = Two Handed delivery line weights SH = Single Handed delivery line weights

NOTE: Grain Windows given are applied to line systems suitable for both single and two handed applications

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Date: December 03, 2005 10:42PM

Scott, thanks for providing the grain info. That helped a lot. It looks like I am going to have to talk to Bob about the S2H 116. It's a bit more powerful than I would like, but I don't want to drop below 11'.

Thanks for the input guys.

Rob

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 12:01PM

Wow.. Thanks for posting that info Scott...};^)...!!!

Rob <> What gamefish will you be targeting, and what is your two handed overhead fishing enviorment ?

Schooly Stripers, Reds, Specs, Surf Perch....Bigger ?

What type of beach will you be casting from : Flat sand, rocks and jetties, or estuarian ?

....And how tuff is the wave action, wash, tidal current and wind ?

Knowing these things will greatly help in determining the best two handed overhead rod and a happy line marriage.

Bob Meiser

Date: December 04, 2005 10:39PM

Bob:

The main target for the rod will be surfperch and stripers to 5 lb, with the occasional halibut , leopard shark and steelhead thrown in. The location is Monterey Bay, where the ocean facing beaches are generally sandy and relatively gently sloped- perfect for fly fishing. The waves run from ankle biters to 20+ feet. I usually fish stuff from 3- 6 feet and leave the beach to the surfers when it gets over head high. Wind is not much trouble- usually just breezes in the 5 - 10 mph range. Currents vary from docile to 10+ knot rips. Fishing the end of the more powerful rips is one of the reasons I have been toying with double handers.

I already have a 7/8 11' 6" double hander that requires a 450 grain line to really get going. This rod is fine for the bigger stripers ( 10- 20 lb) but tends to overpower the smaller fish. I have plenty of single handers in the 6-8 wt range that do a good job with 200 - 250 grain lines and was hoping to add a double hander to my arsenal that would use the same weight heads.

Your thoughts?

Rob

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: December 05, 2005 11:06AM

Excellent info...Thanks

OK <> Our 12'6" 4/5/6 5 pc. is a fast/medium fast ~ True progressive taper, progressive action.

With water anchored classic change of direction spey deliveries she is fully loading at around 350 grains and tip to butt loading in the 250 range with overhead <> shooting head deliveries.

The blank weighs 3.4 oz., and has a very friendly top end designed for fine tippet Trouting.....Good for all gamefish from 1.5 to 15 pounds.

I'd suggest a line like the Rio Outbound in 6 wt at 240 grains for overhead work with this rod.

Another would be the 11'6" 5/6. She is a fast/medium fast tip action, progressive.

Some would call this rod a Scandinavian action.

The 11'6" would have a bit more tip to butt authority then the 12'6", and would generate more line speed with overhead deliveries, plus have more top end power to unplug your line from the wash prior to the lift and shot.

Pretty much the same grain window as the 12'6", and again good for all gamefish to the mid-teens.

The blank weighs 3.2 oz..

One other blank you may consider would be the 10'6" 6/7, and build her as a two handed switch rod.....With the option of using her both as a single hand double haul or a two handed overhead rod.

The same line could be used for both deliveries if you grained the line taper correctly.

This is the rod that I'll use for my calm weather, flat sand wading for Surfperch in Oregon's central Coast.....But most of the time the Perch are within 50 feet, and I'm never casting into steamers...!!!!

If it comes to that <> I'll grab a stiff 13' rod and toss 700 grains.

If needed the 10'6" will easily hit 90 feet with either single or two handed deliveries in a balmy breeze.

Although <> With you higher waves, I could see where the longer 11'6" rod would be an advantage.

Those are my thoughts....Hope this helped.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster