I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for the Repair Pros
Posted by: Brian Rosenbery (---.los-angeles-74-75rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 01:22AM

I've had an interesting first-time rod-repair journey and have two questions below.

The Goods: My custom-built 4-piece Allstar Austin 9' 5wt with rather pricy parts.

The Situation: Tried to overpower a snag and snapped the blank's 2nd thickest piece about 1" above the inserted female ferrule. I'm sick and must try to repair the rod. No experience, though, with rod repair.

My Eventual Rationalization: Probably my fault. Poor rodsmanship. Pulled at the wrong angle too hard.

My Research and Purchase: Studied Tom O's rod repair article in a back edition of RodMaker over and over. Have no idea where to find cheap fiberglass rod pieces to keep the repair parts at a lower modulus than the rod. So, I purchased a cheap, graphite, low-modulus rod for $15 to use for parts.

The Fix: Trimmed the snapped portion, about 1/2" on both sides, to get to solid blank. Then, discovered that the bottom part of the trimmed section, when inserted into the female ferrule, extends only 1/4" above the inserted female ferrule (*&$%). So, inserting an internal plug was out of the question like Tom O suggests. Thus, I constructed an edge-beveled outer sleeve of 2 1/2" and Rodbonded the two parts together inside the outer sleeve. Outer sleeve covers bottom part by 7/8". So female ferrule extends beneath outer sleeve ~3/4".

That process (actually a journey of thinking and cutting) was very interesting as trying to cut tapered outer sleeves from blanks to correctly mate over broken blanks involves quite a bit of cutting and testing, even when using a micrometer. But--and this is the reason(s) for my questions (I think)--I did not have to split the outer sleeve to slide it onto the upper section.

The Result: Before I made the fix, I deglossed the outer sleeve and found that the color pretty well matches the Austin graphite color and sheen. The upstream tolerances between the sleeve and original blank are very small. I'm pleasantly surprised at how it looks.

The Question: Is it necessary to wrap thread and apply epoxy over the outer sleeve in this situation?

And: Did I take the correct approach to solving this problem?

Thanks for any input,

Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for the Repair Pros
Posted by: joe lucas (65.118.17.---)
Date: December 02, 2005 07:52AM

i would and i would use regular not ncp with no color preservant and thread color that matches the blank.

Re: Question for the Repair Pros
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 08:29AM

Forecast 2003 e-glass blanks make for good material for repairs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster