I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tarpon scale inlay
Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.225.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2005 06:19PM

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried anything like a tarpon scale inlay. If it would look decent after the finish was applied or not. Or if it would just look plain old strange and kind of odd. I have several scales from fish that I have caught and my mind began to wonder about what it would look like and if it would make a cool inlay.

Curtis Beers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tarpon scale inlay
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: December 01, 2005 07:43PM

it can be done. Time consuming. I am thinking glue each on seperately and let dry, building up layers of them till you have the area covered.
Give it a shot and show us a picture.
maybe over top of matalic thread ??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2005 07:45PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 08:56AM

Never tried it, but don't see why you couldn't. As Bill suggested, I would inlay the scale over a color (thread, paint) that would make it stand out.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.225.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 11:39AM

I think you're right. It needs a background. The scale takes on a natural curl as it dries and is slightly iridescent. I would have to do something to soften it a little when bonding it to the blank. They are fairly large and go almost all of the way around the blank.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 02:40PM

They would have to be small scales but you could cover a piece of tube/blank about 4" long and I could encapsulate it just the same as any other grip I make. Jesse

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: December 02, 2005 04:18PM

A friend of mine contacted me 2 years ago becasue he was getting into etching images on Black Drum scales. The scales are probably smaller and thinner than the Tarpon scales.

Jesse offers you a good alternative, he encapsulated a set of Blackfish teeth for me with a Blackfish pin a couple of years ago, which came out SUPER.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 12:03PM

That's pretty cool about etching images on Black Drum scales. They are probably about the same size as the tarpon scales from the tarpon we've caught. Yesterday the movers were picking up my stuff and found a scale from a black drum, the guy said he thought it was a tarpon scale from looking at it. Pretty heavy duty things, pain in the butt to cut through.

Phil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster