I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rice thread
Posted by: John Rowland (12.45.207.---)
Date: December 01, 2005 01:44PM

I used Rice opaque red thread for a butt wrap. After applying color preserver and letting it dry, I had gaps in the thread. I burnished the the thread and had no gaps before applying the color preserver. This is the first time using Rice thread, does it need be packed more tightly? I did use a heat gun to speed up the drying of the color preserver, could that be be the problem?
I have always used Gudebrod thread and Flexcoat color preserverand never had this problem.
Also, on another rod I used Gudebrod #290 ncp light tan for a butt wrap and after applying color preserver and letting it dry the thread color was not consistent. It had dark and light areas. I used the same thread for another rod 6 months ago and it turned out fine Any help would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rice thread
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: December 01, 2005 03:15PM

You might want to learn how to pack the thread properly. Try packing with your thumbnail pressed up against teh thread as you spin the rod. Much easier seen than explained.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 01, 2005 10:05PM

Has anyone found a better burnishing tool than a tumbnail?

Ed Smith

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: December 02, 2005 10:15AM

Anything flat. You gotta use something when your thumbnail breaks while fishing.You know you're doing good when one spot on your thumbnail matches the shape of a blank, lol.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 12:33PM

Hard to do that when handwrapping, Billy. I stop every 2 or 3 revolutions, get the Gudebrod tool out and pack it as I make one more revolution.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 04:22PM

Its probablly a thread tension thing. I've found that with any NCP's (Rice opaque) I need to apply a bit more tension then I normally do with other threads when doing crosswraps, if I don't, these threads tend to expand more when I apply Flex Coat CP , causing all kinds of problems with gaps etc.. the thread just "blows up" on me after CP. I have the most trouble with NCPs and Rayons, so I rarely use them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster