I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tack cloth on wraps?
Posted by: Tom Church (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 10:33AM

I have a grouper rod on the wrapper and it has been there awhile. Can I use tack cloth on the wraps to clean dust and whatever off of them prior to CP?

Thanks
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tack cloth on wraps?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 30, 2005 10:36AM

Use something like "Gladwrap" on the wraps until you can finish them.

Mike

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.tci.com)
Date: November 30, 2005 10:44AM

Try a can of compressed air and blow off the dust. I do not know if a tack-cloth would leave any residue that might repell the finish.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Tom Church (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 10:50AM

Mike, do you mean use Gladwrap on them as you wrap them so dirt doesn't collect in the first place?

Tom

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 30, 2005 11:41AM

Sorry, my mistake! I meant that if you aren't going to finish them right away, cover them with Glad Wrap. I'm with Raymond on the tack rag (but I don't know) I would take the rod away from the wrapping area to use the compressed air though or you will be creating a lot more dust in the area. Also, not sure what is used for propelland in the air cans. Might want to check on that.

wiping down with a DRY coffee filter might do it. Lint free

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 12:18PM

I also get a spray bottle fill with water and spray the area where I am going to finish helps to hold down the dust. Don't spray the rod. Air and a soft brush takes dust off.

Posted by: Levi Farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: November 30, 2005 12:35PM

Silicon tack cloths would be bad, I would think.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 30, 2005 01:11PM

If a tack cloth is used properly, I haven't had problems. Just let it lightly rub over the wraps without applying any pressure and the darned thing magnets dust away.

But if you wipe with it, such as using a finger pushed up against the wrap with pressure, the finish will fish-eye on you.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2005 05:27PM

I just use masking tape to blot the dust off, haven't had any problems with the finish either.

Posted by: Joe Preast (---.56.28.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: December 01, 2005 11:26AM

I own a body shop, I use tack rags everytime on rods just as a precaution. I only use automotive grade tack rags though. You can purchase them wherever they sell automotive paints. Try to get the ones for basecoat / clearcoat systems. When using just gently pat the rod with the cloth. Do not wipe the rod. Also unfold the tack rag and loosely ball it into a bundle. When finished put it back in the wrapper and store in a ziplock bag for next time. Just open it up and refluff it before the next use. It will give you a clean area on the rag to work with. You can do several rods with 1 cloth if done properly. Also automotive tack cloths do not contain silicone or any other materials that will cause fisheyes or contamination problems unless you wipe the rod. Then you can transfer trace amounts of the tacky substance. Automotive paints are very sensitive to contamination. Tack rags are inexpensive and efficient in most cases if you dont let to much debris or dust get on the rod. But I do keep my wraps covered until I'm ready to finish them. Hope this helps.
HAGO!
Joe

Posted by: floyd cashmore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2005 11:48AM

[shop.mudhole.com]
Tack Cloth

Posted by: Larry Thomas (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2005 06:29PM

Walmart has a static tack rag that works wonders and leaves no sticky stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster