I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Label Makers?
Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 04:27AM

I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the newer label makers (such as Brother's P-Touch series) to make labels for their rods? Some of these machines seem to be high qualitity, come in both clear and solid color tapes, can print multi-lines and have a number of fonts and print sizes. One model even connects to your computer for even more fonts and other functions.

Thanks!

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Label Makers?
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 09:43AM

Rich,
I am not familiar with them, tell us more, how they work, price, where they can be seen etc.

Posted by: Herbert P. Vinzant (---.207-68.elmore.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 09:44AM

have the old type P-touch label maker and it produces great labels in many colors. The problem is the tape is very thick with a sticky back. It's almost impossible to apply a tans parent label and make the label edges disappear. If this problem has been eliminated, the new P-touch series may produce acceptable labels

Pat Vinzant, Wetumpka AL

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 10:13AM

I have one and use it all the time. The problem I had at the beginning was that the label would raise up on the edges once the flex coat was applied. The F.C probably got underneath label. Found 2 solutions for this. Put color preserver over the label or went around the edge of the label with Zap A Gap both sealed the edge and left not tell tail signs.

Posted by: Nick Doben (---.puyallup.k12.wa.us)
Date: November 29, 2005 11:09AM

I have looked at the P-Touch machines. Very nice quality for the printing. Any font you want from the machines that connect to a PC. The tape selection is a bit thin. IMHO the only tape that is usable is the white letter on clear tape. Wish there were more choices of letter coloring on clear tape.

Date: November 29, 2005 11:25AM

Not at all Nick .I'm using gold and silver right now and know there several more colors available. Sorry Nick haven't used the clear tape yet.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 11:28AM

Bill, I'm confused (per normal) The Tape itself is gold what color are the letters if the background is colored??

Mike

Date: November 29, 2005 11:35AM

The back ground is gold the print is black. I might have made a mistake by not saying this is the P-Touch Label Maker.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 11:39AM

Don't think that would work for me, I often put logo or name/rod info right on top of marble or thread wrap

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 12:27PM

Do these things use a different ink...I thought the problem with home-made labels was not so much the maker but rather ink fade due to uv exposure, etc?

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 03:33AM

Emory,

These are label machines that print various colored ink on transparent or solid color tape. Brothers P-Touch series have been around for years but yesterday I was at Staples and noticed they now have many new models with many new interesting features. As noted above by Nick, they do not have a big selection of colored inked on their transparent tape (black and white only). The tape comes in many widths and you can up to seven lines of print on the wider tape. I also believe the new ones will put borders around the print and possibly even logos. Any store like Saples, Office Max, Office Depot as well as the Internet has them.

Steven,

The label machine uses a different type of ink than used in computer printers (I believe). I printed out labels for my rods 10 years ago when I was doing a lot of party boat fishing. I did not coat these labels with FC or any other epoxy. There has been no sign of fading after all these years, however several are starting to peel off. Since these machines start out as low as $30, I think they just might come in handy for a quick an easy way to make a label for a custom rod.

For more info try Googling Brother's P-Touch Label machines.

Bill,

Thanks for the reply and the tips on using the P-Touch. I'm glad to hear it works for you. I'm going to give it a try. I'll post some pictures when I do.

Thanks everyone for your replys.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 09:12AM

Rich,
Thank you. I am going to look at them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster