I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sad News
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: November 28, 2005 10:34AM

Mornin' folks,
Just wanted to let all of you know that Gerald McCasland passed away this morning around 5:00am from complications, mainly pneumonia related to his COPD. For those of you who don't know, Gerald was an active and colorful participant here on this board since it's inception several years ago. Gerald had been building rods since the 1960's and was one of the finest Thread Artists I knew. Many folks like to give me credit for putting the Texas RodMakers Gatherings together, and while I may have been the one who did the legwork, it was Gerald's idea in the first place.
Gerald was an extremely accomplished Tournament Bass fisherman having fished hundreds of tounaments since their rise in popularity in the early 1970's. In fact, he even shared a boat with the likes of Roland Martin and Tommy Martin on occasion. As well, he was a hopelessly addicted Saltwater fishermen, who even into his seventies made regular trips to Rockport every couple of months to pursue Trout and Redfish with a new rod he had built. Few men have left as many foot prints as "Mac" did on the surf, and inland bays of the Texas Gulf Coast.

He was my biggest role model, the best man at my wedding, and more importantly, my best friend.

I know we'll all miss him a lot, please keep him and his family in your prayers.

Regards,

Andy Dear

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sad News
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 28, 2005 11:41AM

Will Do!! Although I've never met him in person, we've been E-mail buddies for some time. He will be missed

Mike

Posted by: Noel Spann (12.39.180.---)
Date: November 28, 2005 12:13PM

Oh man I really hate to hear that. I was one of the lucky ones who knew Gerald personally and he definatly was one of the nicest, most generous men I knew. I met him for the first time at All Star during the first Texas Gathering and we have been friends, via phone and email, ever since. When the second gathering was being planned my wife looked forward to meeting Gerald as she had heard alot about him and his "colorful" personality, he didn't dissapoint. Every time we talked he always mentioned wanting to come here to La Grange and fish Fayette Lake with me but our schedules never meshed. I know he was a great bass fisherman, saltwater fisherman and one @#$%& of a rod builder!! He walked me through my first optical chevron over the phone.
He will be greatly missed on this forum and I will miss him personally.
My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family during this difficult time.
God bless you Mc.

Noel

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2005 12:15PM

Andy - sorry to hear that., I know how tight you guys were.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: November 28, 2005 01:15PM

So sorry to hear the news. I always learned something from his posts. If not something technical concerning rod building, certainly a better way to look the sport of angling and life in general.

Posted by: dave schaub (---.Technip.US)
Date: November 28, 2005 02:51PM

I really hate to hear of Geralds passing. I certainly enjoyed talking to him at the gatherings and in emails to him directly. I wish we had been able to fish together also but ..... He will be sorely missed. He always had the right ideas on how to do something or had tried this/that and could advise you on what had worked and what would not. I know he is fishing in his favorite spot now taking on large reds and ridiculous specs!

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2005 03:43PM

Andy,

Gerald's passing is sad news indeed. He will be sorely missed. Would you have an address of a surviving relative for those who might wish to send a card?

David

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 28, 2005 05:31PM

Very sad news indeed, Andy. What a loss to us that knew him personally. The best tribute that I can pay Gerald is to say that he was a very good man and a true friend. I will call his wife Ann and pay my respect to her and the rest of his family.

Ellis

Posted by: kevin kidd (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 28, 2005 07:04PM

From a fellow Texan, my prayers go out to you and the McCasland family. So sorry to hear about your loss.

Posted by: MaryLouVandeRiet (---.mesh.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 05:53AM

That is really sad news to hear of Gerald's passing !! I am a better person and rodbuilder for having met him !
He will be truly missed !!

ML

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: November 29, 2005 06:22AM

My condolences to the McCasland family. Very sad news. So sorry Andy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster