I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral Guide Placement Verification
Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 10:26PM

For those of you who don't know me I am very green to rod building.

I am working on a spiral rod, it is a 6'6" medium action blank rainshadow. The first guide I am using is a 12 dbl at 0 degrees 24" up the rod from middle of reel seat. The next guide I am using is at 90 degrees and is an 8dbl, the next is at 180 8 single, then 4 7 singles, and 2 6 singles all of these are at 180 as well....

Today, I was reading Dale Clemens book pg 197-200 and it mentions 1st guide placement at 14"....did I make a mistake? I tested the balance with another rodbuilder in my area and it looked ok.

Also, is anyone else using this formula or have you used a similar spiral guide setup as I mentioned where you place guide at 0, 90, then 140....Any pros and cons to this method if you have.

Also, I am somewhat concerned that I used 9 guides on a 6'6" rod....

Thanks for everyones help ahead of time. As always I appreciate it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Guide Placement Verification
Posted by: Chris Phillips (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 10:41PM

There are a lot of ways to do this and all work pretty well. String it up and try it. Better yet, do a search on this boards archives for spiral wrap and read what comes up. I just tried the Bumper type spiral wrap and think it's a winner. Do a search on that one too.

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 11:01PM

Chris-

Thanks, that is what I am doing. judging from the post I looked at this is great setup for casting, if not best [www.rodbuilding.org].....

I guess now, I just need to know about descrepancy in first guide placement and # of guides, I don't want to overload it.. Not sure if I misunderstood my friend in 24" rather that 14" as Dale's book claims on pg197. I appreciate your assistance....

Thanks,

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 11:02PM

Do a search for either "simple spiral" or "bumper wrap" and see what comes up. It's my favorite and might end up being your's too.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 11:17PM

Jeffrey,
Set up the guides and stress test as normal. The the 24in. might be a little far and might not. If the line touches the blank or foregrip
when the rod is at full deflection then just move the butt guide closer a bit until it don't. Or you could use higher framed guides.
9 guides could be a bit much for a 6ft 6in. rod especially with most guides being on the bottom but that would depend on the blank.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 28, 2005 10:19AM

Jeffry,
the only thing that I would suggest different would be to use the same size fly type (like Fuji BLAG or Amtaks, etc) for the bottom guides. Unless you need to pass large knots, 6's would be more than adequate. I have used them on Muskie rods

Mike

Posted by: Bill Karayannis (203.185.214.---)
Date: November 28, 2005 03:18PM

I've just put together my first bumper wrap. It is a 6'6" fast action Samurai blank distributed here in Australia. After asking questions on these boards. I found the best way to do things was by using the static guide placement method with all guides on top of the blank, then simply transferred all guides 180 degrees except for the butt guide.

From there, the bumper was placed equidistant between the butt guide and the third guide. I ended using 8 guides in all, starting with a 12dbl on top of the blank, 8dbl at 90 degrees, then the rest at 180 degrees which are all single foots and sized 8, 7, 7, 7, 6, 6 with a size 6 tip.

I've been out casting with it and it casts like a dream, now finally this weekend I get to try it out in the beautiful Hunter Valley region chasing Australian Bass ..... can't wait.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 28, 2005 08:52PM

"The SIMPLE SPIRAL WRAP: The BUMPER SYSTEM"
Author: William "Bill" Colby [RMM-8(2)]
RodMaker Magazine Volume-8, Issue #2, pages 16-17
Back issues ($7 each) available at www.rodmakermagazine.com
The 2 photographs and the 2 illustrations tell it all, and they clarify some of the confusion of the earlier Posts made before Colby's Article in RMM-8(2) was widely available to most subscribers of RMM. ... -Cliff Hall+++

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster