I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rod wrappers.
Posted by: Nicholas Christie (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 05:41PM

[www.cabelas.com], is this a good one, if not, can some one steer me in the right direction? going to buy this tonight so please hurry!
Thank you,

-Nicholas Christie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod wrappers.
Date: November 27, 2005 05:43PM

Also, when i go to check out, it says that This item does not include the wrapper frame. what should i do?

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 05:48PM

Looks like it dont come with the motor either.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: November 27, 2005 05:53PM

I would wait till someone who has experience with this unit chimes in or call and ask some questions.Dont jump right in and get something you wont be happy with.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 05:55PM

I got this wrapper a couple of years ago. It's a little better than nothing, but for the price and as few rods as I build, it works pretty well. I believe the "wrapper frame" is the mount for the motor . I also ordered the motor with foot control and sent it back, it was junk, then built my own. For a starting wrapper, it works pretty well.
Fred Murphy

Date: November 27, 2005 05:56PM

Yea, i think i will wait, if i buy it with the motor it says it doesent come with the wrapping frame, and i am not paying 105$ for a motor. any one else know a good unit around that price range?

Date: November 27, 2005 06:02PM

[www.cabelas.com] how about this one, its pretty expensive though =X
P.S. i think i am going to look at the sponcers.
-Nicholas Christie

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 06:03PM

I bought one of those and have regretted it ever since. I ended up using some of the parts on a home made wrapping jig, but I wasted quite a bit of money just for some parts.

I got the motor option. When trying to turn cork the hold down rollers on the rod supports cut through the blank finish on the first (and only!) rod I ever used it on. Just my opinion but I think you’d be better off with a simple “V” block wrapper of some sort.

Your luck with this wrapper may be better than mine was, but, my experience was bad. 1st thing I’d ever gotten from Cabela’s that I was disappointed in.

Date: November 27, 2005 06:10PM

Check the sponsers for this one I know I saw a better deal on it.I think some mat offer a free drying set up or something like that.The Batson/Forcast,Pacific Bay and American Tackle Wrappers of this model must all come from the same source.They are very similar and the upgrades fit from onre to the other.I have a Forcast with the Pac Bay chuck upgrade and love it for the hobby building that I do.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: November 27, 2005 06:35PM

well i saw the Flex Coat Power Rod Wrapper, was wondering if it is worth the money, or should i keep looking?

Posted by: Anonymous User (211.27.170.---)
Date: November 27, 2005 07:11PM

Nicholas,

Give Robert an email at Fishstick4u I'm sure he can come up with something for you. They are a sponsor on the left.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 07:29PM

Nicholas,

What's your hurry?? Don't jump in and spend money that you will regret later. Get some experience and build a few rods before you even decide if you want a power wrapper. There are tons of builders that build a lot of rods and don't use power wrappers. Keep in mind that they may be faster but they are NOT easier. You might want to look at something like this [shop.mudhole.com] or look at some on the Photo Page and consider making one. At this point, the money spent on a power wrapper might get you more value/fun by buying blanks/components.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 07:35PM

Nicholas, it's very simple and inexpensive to build a basic wrapper. Check out the various thing folks have built in the Equipment Section/photo page. There's also an article in the Library.

I don't see much sense in a motorized wrapper when starting out, as you might change your mind later & just end up wasting money.

Some of the most skilled builders use basic wrappers for their work.

Stan

Date: November 27, 2005 07:57PM

heh, my dad is an electrical engineer, so me and him are going to build it. should be fun!

Date: November 27, 2005 08:03PM

Good to hear that! You'll be able to use your funds for thread, components & more useful stuff than a motorized wrapper as Mike said. Besides, when you get into butt wraps you'd never find a power wrapper of any particular usefulness. Stan

Date: November 27, 2005 08:15PM

Whats a butt rap again? i forget =X

Date: November 27, 2005 08:31PM

A butt wrap is a decorative thread wrap down near the rod handle, towards the "butt" end of the blank. It's purely to enhance the rods appearance & not for function or performance. Check the Photo page an you'll find lots of great ideas of what can be done by some folks. Many of us haven't gotten to that level yet but keep trying. Stan

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.lax.centurytel.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 09:50PM

I have both a Clemons and a Pac Bay Wraper. I also have been wrapping for well over 25 yrs. When I wrap guides I never use the power unite {unless I am under wraping). The only time I use power is when I am shaping my handles
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 10:33PM

Nicholas,

I totaly agree with Mike. I'm a fairly new builder (1 year), and like you I was gung ho to get going, but didn't have the financial resources to buy factory made wrappers. so I built the one whose plans are in the Library section above. It works great and you can improve on it as you go. I just wish I had built it longer than the plan calls for. I built mine out of scrap wood you can get from pallets for nothing. I plan on building one just like it, but 6 ft. long to make it easier to wrap 1 piece rods. Start out simple and spend your money on Blanks and components like has been suggested. I was going to build my own lathe, but after seeing some posts on the turncrafter pro from PSI, I went to their website and looked at it and bought one. The only thing I wish I had bought, when I did, was the bed extension. I'll get it in the near future though. You not only can turn handles, but any kind of wood turning you would want or need.

Bill in WV

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2005 10:38PM by William Bartlett.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 11:05PM

Hi Nicholas,
Rich Matranga live right around the corner from you in Folsom. He has the Flex-Coat power wrapper and would be happy
to show you his set-up if you would email him. It really pays to see a couple of different set-ups to get an idea of what might
work best for you! I also agree with Mike Barkley. You would be better served if you spend the extra $ on blanks and stuff and
get a rod or two under your belt first then look into a power wrapper. You will find that you most likely will not use the power
option as much as you might think now.

I have a non-powered hand wrapper that works great! I don't use it any more and my Dad would be proud of me to pass it
along to you if you like! I would be happy to bring it to you and also I could show you the Amtak model power wrapper that I
use now. It is very portable.

So, get in touch with Rich and take a look at his set-up, send me an email and I'll bring the hand wrapper for you and show
you the Amtak machine. You will then have a lot of info for you and your Dad to go over.

When you no longer use the hand wrapper just pass it along to another beginning builder that you would like to help get started!

What goes around comes around!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster