I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ixnay the new concept guide systemay?
Posted by: Levi Farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 03:11AM

On another post, the new concept guide system got pooh-poohed. Great! I wasnt
super thrilled with it myself. So I see in the new Mudhole catalog a wall mount angle placement spacing grid. That looks like it makes some sense. Anyone using it? I build some small spinning rods and such, and mostly big honkin stand up tuna rods or trolling rods with tips in the 16's. I know I cant flex them like that picture shows without a chainfall, a winch, and a stump. Worth a shot?
Also, the renzetti spine finder looks like it could be screwed to the cement floor, right under that graph. Oh, I read now where they are made to go together.

Captn obvious. Im right on it. Anyhow, the graph looks pretty obvious, but is there a size limit for the blanks?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2005 09:03AM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ixnay the new concept guide systemay?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 27, 2005 09:02AM

If you set the system up as shown in the article in our online library, you'll find it works remarkably well. If you simply follow Fuji's generic concept spacing chart, you won't like it. There is a big difference in understanding how to set up and doing it properly and just plugging in numbers from a chart - a chart that has no idea what your handle length is, or your reel size, etc.

You can move the chart up as high as you like to accomodate any length blank.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 10:32AM

You are probably talking about my response saying the FUJI system was not worth using. I also stated that the New Concept System as outlined in the Library above was VERY effective and used extensively by builders. I use it on every spinning rod I build as well as a "modified" version for "Bumper" spiral wraps.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: November 27, 2005 02:56PM

Hmmm. I may have to come up with my own guide setup system, maybe with some math so I can plug in reel sze and handle length and maybe taper . I'll think about it. Anyhow, is that a recommendation for the chart? Or for the concept system?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 03:16PM

Levi,
For the Concept System! I have never used the Don Morton Chart but a lot of people like it. A little further down, there was an in depth discussion of so called "mathematical" formulas for guide spacing. [www.rodbuilding.org] . Didn't I see you recently use the word "Lazy" when someone was looking for an easier way of doing something? :)

Mike

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 04:49PM

Well, as I stand at the shore line, or in my Jon boat with my spinning rod, other fishermen always think I'm using a heavy sinker, or heavy crank bait... I say no..... It's the rod.....I built it......all my rods cast farther then most.....and feel sooo smooth fighting the fish in
NCGS does well by me

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 06:04PM

Thats what its all about David!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: November 28, 2005 02:24AM

Hey Tom!

never mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2005 01:50AM by Levi Farster.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster