I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How do you turn down a short rear grip with a butt cap?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2005 11:41AM

I'm trying to figure out the best way to turn down the rear portion on a split grip handle and want to add either a rubberized burl-type or EVA ring as a butt cap. I hope there's a better way than this:

- Counterbore the butt cap to go over the blank without poking the bit all the way
though.
- Glue the butt cap and cork rings together.
- Slide the assy onto a mandrel that only goes to the butt cap only and turn grip to
size on my vertical lathe (drill press).
- Cut through the cork to remove butt cap from handle and ream/file grip to fit
blank (not sure if I can sand them to the same size).
- Slide rear grip down blank and glue into place, slide butt cap on and glue into
place.

I hope there's an easier way to do this ????????????????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you turn down a short rear grip with a butt cap?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2005 03:34PM

I'm not sure I follow this all the way and I'm sure others will chime in with some ideas. I'll just mention that the last issue of RodMaker showed one way to make the butt end of a split grip. You might consult that if you have it handy.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.66.225.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 26, 2005 04:14PM

I do it two ways
I glue the cork together for each section of the split grip.
Then ( with a hole all the way though) put on an arbor and shape.
Glue onto the blank.
Then the material from the butt cap cork or what ever I used for the end ring is mixed with epoxy and the hole filled. When dry sanded so they match.
or you could plug the end with an auto interier plug, shaped and polished
or a quarter, dime, penny

Date: November 26, 2005 04:28PM

If Volume 8, Issue 5 was the last issue I saw that one which looks to have 2" worth of cork rings - I was thinking closer to 4" of cork plus one ring of burl or EVA on the end. I suppose I could do it the same way and slide it over the blank from the rear. Seems like I would have to have a straight hole in the grip and then build up the butt end of the blank so it is straight as well. Evidentally this must be how it's done. Thanks.

Date: November 26, 2005 04:31PM

Didn't see your post Bill, I was typing and watching football at the same time!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.66.225.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 26, 2005 04:37PM

Tim Who's winning ? I watch Sci-Fi

Posted by: Jerry Chambers (---.xxpansion.net)
Date: November 26, 2005 10:36PM

I glue my rings up on the rod and then shape by hand using a file. Shaping the cork by hand with a file is not hard to do and does not take long. Finish them up with sand paper when you get the grip the shape you want it. I hope this is some help.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: November 26, 2005 11:05PM

Glue up your rings on a mandrel, and use a couple of the drilled burl/composite rings for the end. Shape on the mandrel, then ream to fit the rod so that the grip goes right to the end of the blank. Then use a SOLID burl/composite ring to finish. Glue on, clamp together, and shape with file and sandpaper to the shape you desire when it is dry.

Posted by: Levi Farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 02:17AM

I think I followed you mostly. Maybe its wrong, I used a foregrip, reamed to fit the butt of the blank, it gets placed and glued before anything with about a 1/2 inch or 3/4 of the blank left pokin out, then a premade cork buttcap, bored just like you said. although they should have fit seamlessly, they did not, I cut a small dark blue plastic ring to go between and soften the edges. (The blank was cobalt blue.) I had to sand the rear portion of the forgrip flat, and the fore portion of the buttcap, it was softly rounded. If you use cork rings, (I have not) I hope they come nice and flat with the hole centered nicely and the flats really parrallel. I hope this for you, cause it hasnt always been the case for me with the premade cork products.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 09:53AM

I've done them will good results pretty much the same as above... Glue up the cork rings only, shape on a mandrel - making sure the exposed end of the rear ring is flat for glueing your buttcap on later. Epoxy cork butt to blank leaving a bit of blank exposed for the buttcap. Countersink the buttcap to fit the blank and epoxy/clamp on. Rough-down close to shape using a table sander, then hand sand. (Don't forget to slip on winding checks if using them on the butt end!) A couple of things that have really helped me with this process -- Homemade (or Flexcoat) pilot bits for boring grips, and a good caliper. Good luck!

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 12:11PM

I guess I just live dangerously. I have one of the little PSI scroll chucks. I put some rubber protectors on the jaws and chuck directly on to the rod shaft in front of the grip. I use a live center in the back. I do the whole grip except for the last ring between centers. The I add the end ring, remove the tail stock, and use my left hand for a lathe steady and sand with the right. Only takes just a little sanding.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster