I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Brass counter-weight in handle
Posted by: David Wilson (209.29.220.---)
Date: November 24, 2005 01:10PM

Has anybody put in a counterweight as a part of the cork handle assembly? If yes, I am interested in your opinion.

My current thinking is ....

I am looking at building a 13'6" draft rod. To balance the rod, I am looking at a ~2oz counterweight within 10" from the reel. A 1.25" brass rod with 0.46" center hole for the blank would be 0.492" deep for 2oz.

Given the mass/size of the counterweight, I am thinking the best approach would be ... reel seat, followed by 7" of cork, then counter-weight, then 2" of cork with fighting butt.

I am considering making it a split collar for removal or create an inset for the cork.

Obviousily, actual length of brass has yet defined, as I need to complete the mechanical model for balance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brass counter-weight in handle
Posted by: Richard Chappel (---.cleveland.apk.net)
Date: November 24, 2005 01:28PM

David, I've used Bronze (slightly heavier than brass) as the end cap. Assuming you are able to machine it. Tapered to match the handle, put in a few feature lines to dress it up, drilled and c'sunk for Bronze Phillips head screw. Epoxied wood dowel in the blank and drilled for a minimal thread depth so as not to pressure the blank. The bronze doesn't polish up very well but I don't think it looked bad. Added benefit, you can use it as a priest to dispatch your catch LOL.

Posted by: David Wilson (---.c2.ac1.otton1.isp.cyberus.ca)
Date: November 24, 2005 08:16PM

So is the screw into graphite? How heavy is your bronze cap? (seems like a personal question, but I am a bold canadian).

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 24, 2005 11:15PM

David
This should help [www.basspro.com]

Posted by: Richard Chappel (---.cleveland.apk.net)
Date: November 25, 2005 07:28AM

David, the weights I've made have ranged from about 5/8" to 1 1/2"lg. and I'm only guessing about 2 to 2 1/2 oz.
No, the screw goes into a piece of wood dowel epoxied into the end of the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster