I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ferrule/Guide Wrap
Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 24, 2005 11:39AM

I think you will probably say it doesn't really matter, but I would appreciate hearing your opinions anyway.

I have a guide nearest to the female ferrule on the tip section of the blank whose foot measures 1 7/8" from the ferrule opening. The male ferrule goes into the female ferrule also 1 7/8".

My initial feeling is that I should simply make one large wrap that covers both the ferrule area as well as the guide foot.

In your opinion, are there any reasons, aesthetic or practical, to not do it this way and do two separate wraps instead?

Which do you prefer and why?

With the ferrule going into the female section 1 7/8", how much would you normally wrap, forgetting the issue of the guide?

Also, I think the ferrule wrap should come as close as possible to the end. How much space, if any, can be left unwrapped, ie, begin the wrap 1/8" from the end?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ferrule/Guide Wrap
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 24, 2005 05:44PM

Stay close to the edge - that's the only place a split-out can start and is what your reinforcement wrap is there to prevent. I'd try to stay within 1mm if at all possible.

I'd also just make one longer wrap for the reinforcement and guide wrap. You could even move the guide back just a bit if you want the overall wrap to be shorter. A half-inch or so isn't going to make much difference in your guide lay out.

Re: Ferrule/Guide Wrap
Posted by: Andrew White (---.46-185-64.nts-online.net)
Date: November 25, 2005 09:01AM

If this is a 9' rod, or maybe even if it's an 8.5' rod, I'd consider adjusting my guide spacing slightly to put that guide right on the ferrule. Typically, even if the guide is a small guide, your guide wrap will be plenty long to satisfy the length requirement of a ferrule wrap. That way, you get the effect of two wraps and the weight of just one.

That being said, I've had occasions where the static distribution test wouldn't allow me to put the guide right on the ferrule, and so I've had to do what you're doing. In those cases, I think I've done it both ways--two wraps, and one wrap, depending on the situation. If you're planning on doing a feather inlay in the butt wrap area, consider this: Do two wraps on your ferrule--one for ferrule and another for guide--then do the same type of feather inlay in the space between those two ferrule wraps. Makes a neat effect.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster