I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glitter Color Mixing
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: November 23, 2005 06:27PM

Bought my first thing of glitter from Mudhole to experiment with. I picked up fire opal, wasn't sure which color to get.

I was wondering how mixing colors turns out, i.e. fire opal and the electric blue. Also, how much glitter do you mix into your epoxy?

Thanks,
Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glitter Color Mixing
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 23, 2005 07:05PM

Before you start using glitter on a rod - be sure to test on a section of test work that has the same thread and finish. It takes a very small amount to the stuff. Try it out and get the results you are looking for. Be sure to put the cap back on the little bottle before you knock it on the floor - if this happens to you you will soon tire of the urge to use the infernal stuff.

Gon

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.87.118.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 23, 2005 08:12PM

I've never been happy with my results when mixing glitter into the finish. It never came out even enough for my liking... splotches with lots of glitter, some with very little. I've taken to using a thin coat of finish and when it is no longer runny, but still very tacky, use a pinch between my fingers held a couple of inches above the rod and "rub" to gently sprinkle it on while I turn the rod. When dry, put on another coat of finish. It lets me put the exact amount of glitter exactly where I want it. The downside, is that there isn't much room for error if you drop too much. Use a large piece of paper or cardboard to collect the residue and make sure you don't have any fans around and don't sneeze. As Bill said, the stuff is easy to get all over the place and once it does... well... you'll be wiping up glitter for months.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 23, 2005 08:14PM

If you can see it in the finish, you probably have to much LOL!! Like Bill said, a little goes a LONG way. I dip a toothpick into it and transfer to the finish while mixing. One thing you DON'T want to do is try to shake a little right from the container. Believe me, it ain't pretty! I assume that you have ultra fine stuff. Mixing is fine as long as you use small amounts. Like Bill said practice/test

Mike

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 24, 2005 05:04AM

I have used fire opal glitter for many years. I first started using it on the finish of custom basswood lures I made and airbrushed. The glitter really gave the lures an extra sparkle in sunlight, like natural fish scales. The glitter I use, came from Flex Coat (I think), and is very fine. It really adds a very nice effect to certain wraps and expoxy finishes. I just applied a finish with glitter to a butt wrap today. The wrap is black, candy apple red with gold holo thread. The glitter really added a nice look to the overall finish, especially to the gold holo thread. In my opinon, the secret is to use just a very small amount of glitter so its not overwhelming. I used so little that you almost have to look for it to see it. It just adds a nice sparkle to the finish without drawing attention from the butt wrap. I'll be posting a picture of this wrap in the next couple days. I think glitter's pretty neat stuff when not over used. If you have any other questions about using it, please e-mail me.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2005 06:49AM

Look forward to seeing the pic Rich. Thanks for the info all.

Phil

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.grove.net)
Date: November 24, 2005 05:23PM

I use glitter almost all the time unless the customer specifically doesn't want it. They will ALWAYS have seen it before hand if they have seen any of my personal rods. When I first started, I took everyone's advice about "A little goes a long way" and I was not thoroughly pleased with the results. They are right...A little DOES go a long way...but my personal taste goes to a bit more. I usually use three colors mixed together. For example if the thread wraps are red with gold trim, I use mostly red with a bit of gold and fire opal. if I am using blue and silver...you guessed it...blue, silver, and fire opal. I especially love the fire opal. I use it on most wraps. I mix 3cc each of the two parts of flexcoat high build. After it is well mixed I add the glitter. I use the tip of an exacto knife as a spoon to measure the glitter. All you can get on the first 1/4 inch of an exacto knife blade is a good starting point for each color. (That is...if you like it glittery like I do)...Play with it...you might like it too

Steve Buchanan
Steve's Custom Rods

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 25, 2005 03:53AM

Phil,

I posted 2 pictures under thread art. However the glitter did not show up as well as I hoped.

Rich Matranga

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster