I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Snake or ceramic
Posted by: Robert Miller (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 08:49PM

I have seen many arguments about snake guides vs single foot ceramic. From your experiences, which should I use for my Dan Craft ft1008-4. --My biggest concern is being able to pass the BIG KNOTS on my 15 ft multi tip--. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snake or ceramic
Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sea.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 09:46PM

On an 8 wt? Ceramics.....Ceramics.....Ceramics! (might I recommend the Forecast line?)

Unless your going 4 wt or below (and even then according to a lot of the guys around here) ceramics....and single foot ones...are the way to go!

They are quiter and slicker.....and on an 8 wt you'll never notice the small wt difference.

I have Forecast ceramics on my 9 ft 7 wt FT. The handle the loops on my Airflow milti-tip without a bit of a problem.

Keith

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2005 02:08AM

I have #7 gold zirconias on my 8 and 10 weight FTs. No problems with the Rio braided loops on the old Dredger line...wouldn't have any problem at all with welded ones.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 21, 2005 05:42AM

I reccomend Fuji Alconite Fly guides. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2005 05:48AM by Ralph Jones.

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.metro8.phila.k12.pa.us)
Date: November 21, 2005 10:55AM

I would echo earlier comments...go with ceramics. Most folks here seem to agree...4wt and under, snakes, both single foot and double foot are fine, but 4wt (the "swing either way" weight) and above, ceramics are recommended. Don't get me wrong, snakes are ok on all rods, especially if cost is a factor, but the rods will perform better with ceramics, especially in the heavier weights.

Tim

Posted by: Nick Dazer (204.200.228.---)
Date: November 21, 2005 11:45AM

The Fuji Alconite fly guides are very nice. I just finished a 5-wt. with them, and it's a dream.

-Nick Dazer
Portland, Oregon

Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.region6.ang.af.mil)
Date: November 21, 2005 11:53AM

All of my 7 wt's and above have ceramics, but to go against the grain of the above comments

I've found the American Tackle lineup to be the best for me and my company.

Good Wrappin !
David A. Fuller,
Great Basin Fishing Rods
Full-Time RV'r Traveling- n- Fishing
www.mytripjournal.com/FullersBigAdventure

Posted by: Robert Miller (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2005 08:42PM

If I am to use ceramics, then what sizes and how many should I use for the ft1008-4. Keep in mind, I will use is for two handed spey type casting and also one hand. I've heard that a 10ft rod may only need 8 guides, is this true?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 22, 2005 08:19AM

Depends on the flex of the blank. get at least two extra, also one smaller and larger on the tip tube size to be safe.

Posted by: Dave Crowther (---.hsd1.ut.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2005 02:06PM

I have built an 8wt FT with ceramics. I'm careful with my knot size and almost always use loop to loop connections. I used down to a size 6 on mine but if I were to do it over, I wouldn't go smaller than an 8. Usually tip tops are available in a 6 or an 8.

Posted by: Steve Wynn (---.mgm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 25, 2005 10:59AM

I have a friend that has wrapped a few rods for me and sold me on the idea of all ceramic several years ago. I have an 8' 6wt L.L. Bean rod I have had for years that has snake guides. I had not fished it for at least four years. After a few cast , it seemed to shoot line better than my ceramic guides. I started taking a closer look and it raised a few questions. Here they are. Why is the stripper guide on the Bean rod closer to the forward edge of the cork than on my 7'9" with all ceramics? Also noticed that that the spacings on the ceramics were closer thus more guides. Also noticed that the I.D. of the ceramics seems to be much smaller than the snakes. With all that said, would having more guides for the line to travel through and the smaller I.D. of the ceramics not offset the advantage of their slickness? I am having him build me a 4F9011.2 St. Croix saltwater rod that will not be used a great deal and am wondering where to go with the guides.

Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster