I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Center hole in hand turned wood handles
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 07:10PM

Hi All,

My Dad is having trouble with drilling the center hole in his wood handles. A drill press is
not working. How is this best accomplished? Do you drill the handle then turn it true on
the lath or turn it then drill it? Any suggestions on technique or tools & methods wood
be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Center hole in hand turned wood handles
Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 07:25PM

Raymond,

I'm no expert but for me, center drilling using the lathe with brad point bits works fairly well. I use various sized bits 'til up to the diameter of required mandrel size, mount the stock on a mandrel & turn away - hoping for the best. I'm sure you'll get info from more experienced folks.

I use the lowest RPM setting on the Jet & back out the bit often to prevent binding, chip build-up, overheating of wood and subesequent wood splitting.

Stan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2005 07:33PM by Stan Gregory.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 07:31PM

The only way that I have been able to do it is to drill it on the lathe and then turn it true. I chuck the piece up and use a drill chuck in the tail stock using 10" long brad point drill bits from Woodcraft [www.woodcraft.com] I found out the hard way that the key is to have the wood centered and drill very slowly (at the lathes slowest speed and withdrawing the bit every inch to clear chips and keep from overheating.

Ever since I got this info from Stan Grace, I have had no problems. If I can help, feel free to holler

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 07:34PM

Stan, we must have been typing at the same time!! I forgot to say that once I bore it, I mount it on one of Andy Dear's new threaded end mandrels.

Mike

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 07:54PM

Mike, those 10' bit Stan Grace recommended solved my problems as well. Thanks again Stan Grace for that post!
Stan

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 08:40PM

your have 2 options.

1. As others have previously stated, center bore on the lathe using a chuck. This is what I usually do. I start with my center spur and leave the blank a little long turn, Then I tun the piece to size and cut (or leave) a tenon that will fit in my chuck. Chuck it up and center bore with a drill bit chucked in the tail stock.

2. You can pre-drill the hole to size and use a mandrel. I have several pieces of drill rod of different diameters. I also have several collars that fit over the drill rod. I have a convex tail stock bit that will apply pressure to the collars and hold the blank in place.

Both methods work well. The second is quicker but requires more prep and more parts,.

Christian

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 09:20PM

Always drill it then turn it....it'sdthe only way to ensure the hole is perfectly concentric to the outer diameter.

I'll have the threaded mandrels up on the website ina few days.

ANdy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 21, 2005 05:46AM

Raymond, I reccomend Andy's DVD "The Wood Lathe in Rodbuilding". It taught me a lot. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: November 21, 2005 07:25AM

I have done about a dozen or so wooden handles and the best advice I can give is to chuck it up in the lathe and drill the hole. Keep the rpm down and feed the drill sloooooow, that will keep it centered fairly well. I back the drill out fairly often to keep the chips from binding up. I also turn the stock down abit before putting it on the mandrel, you can remove material faster in the chuck than on the mandrel, I at least get it round before putting it on the mandrel.

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: November 21, 2005 12:22PM

Raymond, I always drill the hole first using a 4 jaw chuck, and using 135 degree split point parabolic bits, these bits clean out chips easily, and will not drift because of the way the cutting edge is made. They are a little expensive, and can be bought from woodcrafters, they are used for pen blanks and stay sharp a long time. The problem I used to have is with stabilzed burl and the knots moving the bits out of alignment. with normal bits. As far as length you can drill from both ends and use a long bit to connect. But absolutely use the mandrel system, even if it is a little off the lathe work will always make it concentric. Galen Briese

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: November 21, 2005 03:58PM

It seems that your method depends entirely on how exact your tools are. Since I deal with sloppy tools to do my work, I always drill the hole in my blank first (on the drill press). That way, if your hole wanders a tad, no big deal. You mount the blank on a mandrel, mount the mandrel in the lathe, and then turn to shape. The end result will be centered, every time. If you have very exact tools (i.e. a really good lathe), then you can do it however you want.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster