I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Guide Concept - guide edge exactly "where"?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 01:10PM

I'm having trouble understanding EXACTLY WHERE the butt/choke guides sit against the "table edge". Volume 7, Issue #1 (and library) state:

3. Now set the guides between the reel and the intersect guide by selecting guide sizes and locations that put the guide’s outer edges so that they just reach the table edge.

To me, this says to put the outer edge of the guide's FRAME against the table edge.

However, in the earlier volume 3, issue #4 article it states:

“that you use the outermost edge of the guide ring as the contact point along the line between the spool centerline and choke guide. Obviously if you can get enough frame height so that the reference line passes through the ring center - do so”.

I read (3) different ways to initially set up your guides under the New Guide Concept from the blank to the table edge:

- outside edge of the frame
- outermost edge of the guide ring (inside or outside of the ring though ??)
- exact center of the guide ring

Am I to assume all three of these methods are correct and acceptable? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Guide Concept - guide edge exactly "where"?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 20, 2005 02:12PM

It doesn't matter - what matters is a straight line path, so whatever you choose, just make sure you do each guide the same way.

You're going to find that it's almost impossible to obtain guides with frames high enough so that the table or whatever straight edge you're using, will pass along the center of the guide ring. Nor does it matter - putting the frame edge on the straight edge will net you just as much distance and it's far easier to obtain guides that are at least high enough to do this. Keep in mind also, that the actual line never passes through the center of a guide ring (if it did, you wouldn't need the guide there). The line, by virtue of gravity, will ride against the ring edge.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.181.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 21, 2005 07:38AM

I always use the Fuji Concept guides on these. They always seem to be the right height to get the line very close to center.
The Titans and the new Forecast VS III are the only other ones I know of that are similar in height.
Most otheres are an all purpose and lower in height. I feel the " M " guides are too high.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 21, 2005 08:42PM

For what I build ( light tackle surf/sound rods), I almost always use Pac Bay "M"s (CMSG) for the butt guide and the guide next up towards the tip. From there on to the tip, various alconite guides are used. The color match is compatible and the "M" guides might add a little less weight. Don't know that it makes any practical difference as to what is used, within reason. Stan

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 22, 2005 01:15AM

Should have mentioned that I use Shimano spinning reel angles of spool center to reel seat for establishing guide height used towards the butt.end and the next guide or two.

Spool centerline angles of various spinning reels might vary by several degrees as measured to the reel seat. Setting up for a specific reel angle might not make a big performance difference in practical terms, but might make a slight difference for a fisherman interessted in optimal function. The blank is probably much more important than reel used. Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster