I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cleaning bloody/dirty colored EVA/Hypalon
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 04:03PM

I have some pretty nice Daiwa rods that were used in Japan to slay some dolphin(mahi mahi/dorado) and skipjack tuna. Being the bloody creatures they are, they got pretty dirty. They have yellow EVA grips, and so far, I've been unsuccesfull at cleaning the blood/grime off them.

Looking at Billy's post of the awesome grips he's done, I cringed thinking about what they would look like after a trip offshore, especially the white sections.

How to clean these things without destroying the grips?

Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cleaning bloody/dirty colored EVA/Hypalon
Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 04:43PM

I have used Simply Green on EVA and cork with excellent results. Cleans them up and they look new again.

Rich Matranga

Folsom, Ca.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 04:44PM

Have you tried a grease cutting dish soap(Dawn) and a tooth brush? Soap up your hands good with the dish soap and scrub the grips with your hands and then use the tooth brush but go easy with the brush. This has worked for me with catfish blood on foam & cork. I only build with cork so I don't know EVA from hypalon so it may work and it may not. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 05:29PM

I take them into the shower, I take a toothbrush & rub some soap on it, and brush the entire rod, including grips. THis is all I ever do to my EVA grips, and they look almost as good as new. The hardest thing I have found to clean out of the EVA inlays in lighter colors (Yellow & White) - is darker EVA from sanding. THis stuff embeds in teh lighter clors, and it is a bit of a PITA to get the lighte rEVA to look like a solid color again. For this I use an old rag, some DAwn & water, and I rub it briskly until it lathers up, this usually "raises" the darker EVA off teh lighter EVA, and I then wipe it off with a dry cloth. I hope that makes some sense, I'm wiped out right now from a long day.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 07:12PM

Fellers......

Blood stains = H202 to remove (standard household 2% peroxide) Won't harm, removes blood 100% of the time. Rinse after with warm water, air dry.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 09:00PM

Good info-will give it a try. Tried green scrub pads and simple green before, didn't get them clean. Clean-but dark stained. The grips are yellow, and still show some blood spots.

Will report results.
Phil

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 12:02AM

I have used SOS pad in the past on some really narly stuff in Hypalong.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 20, 2005 12:20AM

Phil - Dittos to Ralph, Billy & Duane. (I never tied Simple Green.) Do try H2O2.

If possible, don't let blood dry into any porous or textured surface in the first place. -LOL-. Splash blood off while wet. Scrub with soap and water if needed. Bleach with HYDROGEN PEROXIDE (H2O2), after soap scrubbing is rinsed off. I have never tried chlorine bleach on any fishing tackle, so I hesitate to recommend that.

Sodium Hypochlorite, the active ingredient in old-fashioned household chlorine bleach is a very powerful oxidant, and will cause rust on most metals with which it comes in contact, including stainless steel. Keep it away from the metals on any reel seat. Bleach has to be well rinsed off and soon towel dried or rust is almost guaranteed.

Straight household bleach is WAY too powerful and concentrated an oxidant to use on anything. Undiluted, it will dissolve cloth soaked in it, so I'd be VERY cautious if you want to try something on any grip material more powerful than H2O2 out of desperation. If you try chlorine bleach, only try a weak solution, like a dilution of one capful in an 8oz glass of water, and drop a SCRAP of another piece of EVA or Hypalon of the same color in there and see what happens BEFORE you put chlorine bleach anywhere near a mounted rod grip.

Maybe just stop at the Hydrogen Peroxide! ... H2O2 is NOT persistant, and will disintegrate upon prolonged exposure to heat and air, so you can douse the grip with it safely. Use it undiluted, full strength. Foaming is the liberation of oxygen, which shows it is working. Check your batch of H2O2 for freshness. If you pour it on unglazed blood, it should foam. If a little swig does not foam in your mouth, the H2O2 is dead and you should try a new bottle (~$1).

H2O2 from the Pharmacy section has a low capacity. It is designed to react with only a few 100 milligrams of germs or blood - not 2 ounces of cork or EVA - Hypalon. So it is safe for your grips. It will react with the iron group in the blood, and cause it to go from a reddish color to, hopefully, so light a shade of grey that you will no longer notice it.

-Cliff Hall+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2005 08:12AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 11:19AM

The above methods will work great for cleaning, but once dry, try some 303 protectant. Makes EVA look like new, plus prevents blood, slime and such from penetrating the grip, making cleanup easier.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster