I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

trimming the edge
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 08:02AM

I can't get a nice flex coat trim finish on my wraps. Ive tried the brush, flat knife, scotch tape and painters tape they all work but with much effort . I know its my technique any help or new ideas?Tried the hand rest as Tom suggested . Its not the steady hand as much as finding a how much to apply so your not going back several times to add more to the wrap. Tried the search but didn't come up with much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: trimming the edge
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.30.105.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 08:37AM

Bill,
It's one of those things where the more you do it, the better you will get, but two things that might help. Do your wraps with what you feel is the right amount of finish and then using your tool, as the rod turns, gently "pull" some finish down to the edge and let the turning rod make a clean line. Actually, you will be pushing a small bead of finish to the edge. You can also do your edges first. Load up a brush and "paint" the edge as you turn the rod. Then go back and do the wraps, leaving the edge alone. When you wick the sags, do it towards the guide, not toward the edge.

When you are done, if you have any ragged lines, you can carefully dress them up with an alcohol dampened, not soaked, Q-tip or paper towelling wrapped around a straight edge.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 12:03PM

My first, maybe only coat is a heavy (flood) coat. Then I stop the dryer with the guides up and wick the excess (sagging or dripping) finish off with the brush I applied the finish with. This does not alter the edges I set with the brush at 18 rppm. I find it easier to get the edge I want with the drying motor on and a full brush. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2005 05:02PM by Ralph Jones.

Posted by: Mike Adams (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 01:07PM

I get my best results using the same method that Ralph uses. By using the drying motor to turn I only need to concentrate on getting the brush in the correct position and holding it steady. I also tried using the 4rpm motor but it seems too slow, the 18 was much better. I'd bet others can spin with one hand and brush with the other but not me.

Mike

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.169.---)
Date: November 19, 2005 01:18PM

This is probably not the best way to do it, but I just make sure that I get about 1/16 of an inch past the end if the wraps and then take a damp, tightly folded, and clean edge piece of paper towel and hold tightly on the blank where I want the edge to be and turn the rod. I get pretty good result.

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 04:33PM

I've found that the 'Credit Card' method (something I got from this site) works wonders. I've taken the junk credit cards mailed to me, cut them into small and various sized strips and glued them between two popsicle sticks for ease of handling. This makes for a good applicator of Flex Coat. The straight edge of the credit card strip makes, for me, a nice straight edge off the wrap.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 08:58PM

You did not mention what tools you have available. The faster the blank is turning the easier it is to "set" a thin finish edge sharply on the ends of a guide wrap. The Flexcoat high speed finishers that most commercial rod builders use is turning at 200 rpm. If you have a power rod wrapper esimate speed at 100 to 200 rpm and try it by simply holding the brush in one position and shoving the little ring of finish past the end of the thread. One or two times playing with this and the light will come on rather quickly that this is really a simple thing to do.

Gon

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 11:36AM

I use two coats most of the time, I'l take my 1st coat ONLY to the very edge of the wraps and not even ON the blank very much if any, then on my 2nd coat I'll go past the wraps edges and onto the blank with the rod turner spinning. The most important part to me is having a GOOD rest for your arm to make a steady hand. I just use a brush.

DR

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 12:09PM

My problem is I do 90% spinning rods and due to the angle of the guide, I haven't figured out a good way to do the edge under the guide ring. It may be crude, but I use 1/4" masking tape around the blank and take it off as soon as the epoxy has flowed out.. Works good for me, but I'm not high volume and have plenty of time.

Several guys mentioned using paper towels. I much prefer coffee filters. They are lint free and fold into perfect creases and don't fall apart when saturated with alcohol - Plus you can get a couple year supply for a buck at a dollar store (not that I'm cheap)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster