I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt guide position ....... ?
Posted by: Mal. Marlow (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: November 18, 2005 11:29AM

Could I get some input ?

I'm currently building "3 float rods" for Steelhead fishing in the tribs around the Southern Ontario here in Canada.

Most of my fishing is done with floats and centre pin reels. I'm having a bit of a problem in trying to decide where to position the butt guide. Most of the factory built rods (IMHO) seem to have the butt guide far to close to the rod handle, I use the Wallis Cast a lot of the time ! I feel the guide should not be too close to allow one to exicute this style of casting !
To my eye around 26" looks about right. (from the centre of the reel seat) to the butt guide.
I have the liking for longer handles (Brit style !) usually around 23" in length and a 2 3/4" foregrip.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has preferences for the ideal position.

Many thanks
Mal.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt guide position ....... ?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: November 18, 2005 11:38AM

I never heard of half the stuff you mention, but I do know if 26" looks about right to your eye, that you can take your 3 float rods and test cast them with your reel & casting style & see how 26" works. You could also try 27", 29.75" - whatever you have to do to get it to cast teh way you want.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.169.---)
Date: November 18, 2005 01:06PM

I have one spinning rod that is around 26 inches and it works fine. The numbers that you list, are to me starting points, nothing is etched in stone here.

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: November 18, 2005 01:11PM

The farther you place you butt guide away from the reel the less steep of an angle the line has to make on the way up the the guide, usually this gets you a little smoother line flow out. The closer then the line has more of an angle to contend with. Do as Billy says and test cast that bad boy, moving it a couple inches forward or back and you will soon find the ideal position for you to cast and pick up the line. Remember the line being within comfortable reach is as important.

BTW what is Wallis Cast?

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.lax.centurytel.net)
Date: November 18, 2005 04:39PM

The above infor. is great for a starting point. What I also do is run my line threw the guide and see if the line comming off the spool rubs the edge of the guide if this happens you also may consider going up a guide larger. I also us surgical tubing band to hold my guides on temerarily. By using band I can make easy adjustments when repositioning the guide placement

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: November 18, 2005 05:17PM

Mr. Marlow-

I have experienced this same problem with the factory centrepin/float rods. The first guide is either to close or not the ring size I would have chosen. This can result in more drag because of the angle in which the line shoots from the spool in and through the first guide. I have found that moving the first guide away a few more inches than normal along with possible upsizing the guide one allow for less of a tangent and smoother line flow. SInce a centrepin reel may sit close to 6" (depending on model) off the reel seat, you do get a bit more

For those who asked: The Wallis cast is both a unique casting style and troublesome for those practicing to master it.

Centrepins, as you may already know, freespool to allow a drag free float through the strike zone. To cast these 3.5 -5" reels you have several options. Side cast, spinning side cast, the nottingham cast, and the wallis cast (to name a few). The wallis cast is the best in preventing line twist and getting some distance. The cast is performed by pulling the line off the spool with good force at the same time you're swinging your terminal tackle forward toward your target and at the same time your "feathering" the spool as you cast to prevent line overrun (ie birds nest).

www.questoutdoors.net has some great instructional information and videos on centrepin techniques.

Domenic Federico
Infinity Rod Creations

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 18, 2005 08:19PM

Another way striper or butt guides are placed is to hold the rod in your casting hand and reach for the line as if to strip line, then to start place the striper guide at that spot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster