I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

moisture in whippings??
Posted by: Johnny Morant (---.demon.co.uk)
Date: November 17, 2005 03:17PM

Im having a bit of trouble with my latest rod. It's only the second I've made so I'm not expecting it to be perfect. What seems to happen is after fishing for a few hours, some patches on the whippings turn an opaque/white colour. I intially thought this was water seeping in through a tiny gap in the lacquer so I touched up the offending bits with a bit more epoxy.
But it's happened again.
Is this the result of being a bit too hasty to varnish the whippings after the sealer appears to have dried?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: moisture in whippings??
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 17, 2005 04:17PM

Once the "seepage" starts it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to reseal. There can be a long list of reasons that water is "wicking" under the finish. One reason that is often overlooked is that the rod finish or varnish in the area of the wrap was not prepared to the "water break" state. Water can penetrate the wrap under the thread between the thread and the blank and you will have a tough time sealing. An overlap of finish on the end of the wrap can sometimes keep this from happening. On the other end of the wrap where the frame starts its vertical run caution should be directed at not letting the finish "climb" too high on the frame. When the guide frame is loaded it can cause torsion in the area and crack the finish to allow water to enter. Any stickups that you trimmed off and did not get a continuous flow coat of final finish will "wick" water straight into the wrap.

The best way to combat this issue is to read all you can in the literature and on this board in the archives and build more and more and more rods - you WILL find what YOU did to cause this, adopt new procedures to stop it and will end up quite satisfied!!

Gon

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 18, 2005 08:46AM

If it clears up after a couple of days in a warm area it may just be water.
One thing you could do is after letting it dry and clear up, scoff the wraps and reclear making sure you wrap each guide completely. Go over the thread onto the blank to seal that, and make sure the post that holds the ring is covered all around it. Let dry well.

Posted by: Bob Barlas (---.axsne.net)
Date: November 18, 2005 03:13PM

Did you use cp? How much? And did it cure completely? I once rushed a job and put finish over damp cp. Got the same milk look. Worse at the guide foot where more cp is absorbed. It was suggested that a thinned first coat dries quicker, and from the inside out. Hasn't happened since.

Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster