I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Well....we've done it again!
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: November 16, 2005 11:03PM

Take a look guys.....we've done it again!

[www.lamarreelseats.com]

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.
210-845-7456

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Well....we've done it again!
Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.130.---)
Date: November 17, 2005 04:45AM

Well Andy, looks good. You may have hit on a winner. Like the idea of UV absorbers.
Time will tell.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.010.dsl.qld.iprimus.net.au)
Date: November 17, 2005 04:57AM

Andy sure would like to give it a real test downunder in the extreme UV we have down here over this summer.

Posted by: Joe Emig (---.224.234.17.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 09:11AM

Andy, Do your 4oz. kits come with measuring syringes?

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 17, 2005 09:46AM

hello andy how is the flexability of your new product we fish all winter long in extreme conditions as long as there is no ice on the rivers... of coarse you havent got the chance yet because winter just hit but another product i used dident hold up well epoxy got hard and cracked my guess not flexible enough maybe its a dumb ???? but i thought id ask thanks ...........crabtree's custom rods

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 10:00AM

Andy, What is your opinion on using your finish to cast my encapsulated grips and hosels? As you know I'm using Flexcoat at the present. Please E Mail me your best price per gallon. Thanks, Jesse jbrods@exis.net

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 10:01AM

Andy, What is your opinion on using your finish to cast my encapsulated grips and hosels? As you know I'm using Flexcoat at the present. Please E Mail me your best price per gallon. Thanks, Jesse jbrods@exis.net

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: November 17, 2005 10:38AM

Andy,

This sounds interesting.

Can you E-mail me....I have a few questions.

Bob Meiser

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: November 17, 2005 10:40AM

Sorry <> rmeiser@charter.net

Bob Meiser

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2005 10:40AM

On the last drops of remaining finish from the test kit Andy sent,very glad he is ready to market the product,on the first sample stick I did a few weeks ago the finish remain clear after sitting in a salt water enviroment -plenty of sun, some rain and no hurricanes have influenced the finish at all. Have now done a couple more rods also now all turned out great excellent levelling and extremely clear.
It seems that it can be used as a one coat or multiple coat finish without any difference in leveling excellent product
Thanks Andy
John

Date: November 17, 2005 10:42AM

Joe,
Yes the syringes are coming VERY soon.

Robert,
All I can say is that I don't know. In South Texas we get very few cold days compared to y'all. We'l just have to try it and see. If it cracks under cold conditions, I'll have my chemist re-formulate a "polar" version! Seriously, we'll work at it until we get it right.

Jesse,
Flex Coat is a great finish, I have been using it for years, and have built tons of rods with it, so I am not going to say anything bad at all about it except it does turn yellow very quickly under UV exposure......mine doesn't. I would think ThreadMaster will work extremely well for what you are doing.
I'll email you a price later today.

By the way, I'll have my white test sticks in Charlotte, so if anyone wants to stop by the booth and see "the proof", please do so!

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: November 17, 2005 11:19AM

I have it on a few rods which will be used extensively over the next 2 months in 30 degree temps. It really, really levels wel, and from Andy's test sticks I know it will stay clear, unlike most other finishes. When he comes out with teh higher build version (this one is more along the lines of a medium build), it will be much better suited to butt wraps. Right now I need 5 coats to get the same coverage whcih I use 3 coats with other finishes, but I MUCH prefer to use Threadmaster as it will stay clear and my threadwork will look the way it is supposed to.

Good stuff, which I need to order more of as my sample is finished.

Date: November 17, 2005 12:24PM

Hey guys,
I just had a conversation with my chemist who assures me that this is designed not to crack even in sub-zero temps. However, if for some reason we do experience some cold weather anomolies, please let me know and we'll certainly fix it.

The "Polar" formulation, wouldn't that be inetresting? Environmentally specific thread finishes....

Andy

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 17, 2005 12:43PM

Andy,
Will your product be sold through any distributors?

Jeff

Date: November 17, 2005 02:42PM

hey andy if you devoleped it remeber i asked first .....lol........sounds good though i'll be checkin it out next order...

Date: November 17, 2005 03:47PM

Let's not forget the major reason epoxy cracks on guide feet, is improper grinding of guides. You guys who build lighter rods might not have this problem, but when you use heavier guides and do not taper them down enough, any epoxy will crack, including Aftcote, Supreme, FC, etc. Also the more epoxy you use to build up the wraps, the more likely it will crack when flexed.

Date: November 17, 2005 04:01PM

without a dought proper care needs to be taken before applying anything the reason i asked is because some epoxy gets really hard in the winter and dont flex as much as it would in warmer weather ...............

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 18, 2005 08:53AM

How about the pot life? Is it as long as LS Supreme? If it is as long or longer than Flex-Coat, I need some. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Date: November 18, 2005 09:44AM

I did not time the Pot life when I used it, but it was long enough so I could coat 10 guides, a butt wrap, and a 12" piece of carbon fiber tubing with a 3CC mixture. Probably took me 40 minutes. It was not nearly as long as Aftcote, but definately longer than FC or the other 20 minute set up finishes.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 18, 2005 09:56AM

Excellent!!! I need some soon. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster