I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

color preserver experiment
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-09rh15-16rt.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 16, 2005 01:17PM

for quite a while now if have been using a water based urothane as a color preserver with very good results. the brand is olympic water based urothane. it is kind of the consistancy and color of soy milk but dries clear and glossy. the only problem was that it did darken the
thread about one shade on a 10 point gray scale. the other day i tried something interesting. i used a product called aerogloss. it is a dope for coating silkspan on model airplane wings. i first tried just the aerogloss applying one coat. when the thread wrap dried it was absolutely the color on the spool. no loss of brighness. however, when i applied spar varnish it tended to penitrate and darken the thread. i then coated another wrap (on a test stick) with the aerogloss and let dry thoroughly. i then applied a coat of
the water based urothane. when that dried i applied spar varnish. the wrap is absolutley as bright as the spool. no darkening at all. not sure about how well this will hold up long term but the technigue does get me the brightness i want. have only tested this with a hand appliction and not in a dip tube since i don't use one. i guess that would be the ultimate test of any color preserving process.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: color preserver experiment
Posted by: Robert Schuler (---.delv.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 16, 2005 04:22PM

I posted on this site and others many months ago about using airplane dope as a cp. It seems that few people took up my idea. Im glad you tried it. I use 2 coats before applying epoxy. You should try using more coats of dope because on model airplanes "Nitrate dope" seals the balsa frame from fuel oils it should do the same with spar varnish without the urothane. Most Aerogloss formulas are Butryte and do not seal as well as Nitrate. BTW. I find that 4 coats of clear dope alone will seal wraps and no other type of coating was needed, giving the rod an old fashioned raised tread look.. Bob.

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.att.net)
Date: November 16, 2005 05:00PM

I will use more coats when i actually use this on a rod. my next rod will be wound with silk black and orange twist (which is really more brown). i may try the four coats. i also have another bottle of "dope" and i will see if that is a nitrite based product. thanks for the info.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.150.232.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 05:29AM

Larry, Angler's Workshop, a sponsor on the left has a brew especially for silk on bamboo... give them an email or look up their catalog.. That may help ya with the color problem... varnish has a tendency to penetrate the cp, I have had the same problem for years... I have used up to 5 coats of flex coat cp and then dipped the section and the color was fine. I am always trying new things.. Blond dewaxed shellac with absolute alcohol is a very good cp and can be used with varnish.

Tight lines to all ~~

Posted by: Rich Margiotta (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 08:21PM

Aerogloss is essentially clear lacquer, which was used in the old days as a color preserver. It is specially formulated for outdoor use on model planes, but it has the same effect as the old lacquer. (many modern lacquers for wood finishing have an amber tint which affects the clor, but Aerogloss is "water clear".) Like any lacquer, you need multiple coats. I thin the first one about 20% and then add two full strength ones. It is fully compatible with oil-based varnishes.

Those of us that do bamboo like to use it as clear coating on blued components as well.

--Rich

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster