I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Feather Ferrule Alignment marks
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 15, 2005 12:55PM

I want to use small Jungle cock nails for ferrule alinment marks on a pair of 2 pc fly rods. The female end is no problem. My question is on the male end should I put it right on the blank or should I put it on a small wrap to match the female end? I know that I can't put anything to close to where the ferrule seats, but how far frpm the ferrule can I safely put it and still allow ample room for future wear in the ferrule.

Thanks,
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Feather Ferrule Alignment marks
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 15, 2005 02:11PM

About 1/4 inch minimum. Rarely would the ferrule wear to the point where it seat much farther down than that over the years.

Date: November 15, 2005 02:16PM

Tom,

Would you put it on top of a short wrap matching the one on the female? They're 2 piece 4/5 wt rods Not being a fly guy, I was wondering if the extra wrap would have any bearing on performance.

Mike

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 15, 2005 03:49PM

A tiny wrap like that isn't going to hurt anything. To keep everything matching, you might want to add a little thread as a base of the feather.

What I've often done, is just one one feather, on the ferrule and then have it match to a single dot of paint or something on the butt section. To me it looks less "busy" but this is just my own eye talking.

Date: November 15, 2005 04:18PM

Thanks, Tom!!

Mike

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: November 15, 2005 09:21PM

Mike,
I used to do this a lot on flyrods when feather inlays first became popular. I put a slightly larger feather next to the winding check on the top of the rod, and then smaller feathers on the female ferrule. Then you lined the small feathers up with the large one on the butt section. I don't see any reason to add feathers to both ends of the ferrule...especially on a 2 piece.

ANdy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Date: November 15, 2005 09:59PM

Thanks, Andy! Makes sense, I'll let the customer decide.

Mike

Posted by: Kenneth Prager (---.nas19.washington1.dc.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: November 16, 2005 07:20AM

Mike, If you have the jungle cock neck you can put use the shaft of the feather from the back, on the tip section, mounted on the ferrule, and the jungle cock nail on the butt. This give you a line and a dot, and uses the feathers in a natural way. Fly fishers love this.
Regards,
Kenneth Prager

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster