I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PacBay thread- (cont. grit in epoxy)
Posted by: gene bethea (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 15, 2005 08:50AM

I posted the other day about a problem on my rod wraps having "grit" in the epoxy. I determined that it was not grit, but tiny, microsophic thread fraylings. I am wrapping another rod using a different spool ot thread and I had the same thing happen I also used another thread tensioner. The only thing I can see was the same was the PacBay thread. Have any of you experienced this with PacBay thread? This is only the second spool I've used. I hate cutting off the epoxy and starting over, but it seems to be the only workable solution as i've tried sanding/burning off the little shards. Thanks for your consideration-gb-

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PacBay thread- (cont. grit in epoxy)
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 15, 2005 09:44AM

If your tension is on the thread that may be the problem ??
Tension too tight ?
What the thread runs though before it gets to the blank ?

Fuzz can also be gotten rid of with a bic lighter --- unless it is the thread ???
Call the supplier and see if he has had any trouble.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2005 09:45AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Sam Schalley (---.adobe.com)
Date: November 15, 2005 10:26AM

I've had this happen when using too much thread tension.

- Sam

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2005 10:38AM

Gene,
I know that a lot of people prefer thread tensioners but I think that the best device for holding the thread and providing the proper tension is your fingers. If you practice a little I think that you will find that it is faster, easier and gives you more control to run the thread through your fingers. If you want to stop in the middle of a wrap just put a piece of masking tape on the thread temporarily.
However, I would not suggest this approach when weaving.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2005 10:40AM by Emory Harry.

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: November 15, 2005 04:13PM

I also found that if you run the line through hardware store bought screw in eyelets, that you'll get this issue with any thread you have if the eyelet isn't smooth. And that is regardless of thread tension (although too tight thread is another reason)

Makes a good case for rigging up guides for this funtion, although I don't use anything between the thread spool and the blank but the spring tensioner located on the thread spool spindle/holder.

Domenic

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 15, 2005 06:43PM

You should try the new thread tension device made by ALL AMERICAN ROLLER GUIDES. The tension is controlled by the attraction of two magnets that is on the threaded rod holding the thread spool. there is nothing that grips the thread.

Kerry

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2005 06:48PM

Be carefulwhen using the fingers.I completed a closed butt wrap only to find out that tha ruogh skin on my hands frayed the thread.I now wear a glove due to nature of my profession rough beat up hands are a fact of life.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: November 15, 2005 06:49PM

I appreciate all the advice; I am using the little $5 tensioners from Cabela's. On my next wraps I'm going to go back to running the thread thru a large book as I did when I started. I am now under the assumption that I am indeed using too great a tension on my thread, which may cause the problem. Also, maybe using a tensioner that restricts spool movement rather than binding the thread itself may be an alternative. Thanks again-gb-

Date: November 15, 2005 06:49PM

I appreciate all the advice; I am using the little $5 tensioners from Cabela's. On my next wraps I'm going to go back to running the thread thru a large book as I did when I started. I am now under the assumption that I am indeed using too great a tension on my thread, which may cause the problem. Also, maybe using a tensioner that restricts spool movement rather than binding the thread itself may be an alternative. Thanks again-gb-

Date: November 15, 2005 06:50PM

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.54.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: November 16, 2005 01:43AM

very very appreciative, it seems ;-)

eeric
fresno, ca.

Date: November 16, 2005 12:18PM

I apologize; my computer wouldn't function so I hit the send button more than once; did not mean to make repititive posts-gb-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster