I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken guide feet
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2005 09:27PM

Question: You receive some poorly ground guide feet on the guides you purchased (name brand doesn't matter, have had it happen with more than 1). The feet are blue and the end drops off at a very steep angle, not smooth and sloping like it needs to be. You go to touch them up either by file or dremel, and the guide foot breaks (splits) cause the weld or metal at the end got too thin.

Do you:
1. Eat the guide and buy a new
2. Wrap with it anyway, the split wouldn't hurt anything anyway.
3. Superglue/JB Weld the foot back together before wrapping.
4. Contact the manufacturer or supplier for a replacement if the guide is pricey enough to be worth it.

Just wondering, I've had this happen at least two or three guides, and some guides start to get expensive! The first one was a cheapo and I threw it away (also possibly my fault for the split), the second more pricey.

Tight lines!
Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken guide feet
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2005 09:37PM

Send it back!! Any pre-ground guide I have ever bought had a nicely polished edge and no defects!! I have broke the frame myself
while grinding the feet but that my my fault and also a cheap guide! A quality guide and a little care and that should not happen!

My 2 cents

You wouldn't really wrap it on would you? Repaired or not?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 14, 2005 11:48PM

Let see, last time something like this happened to a guide I was grinding I think it was a size 16 "BNLG" type guide. Cost of guide less than two bucks. Cost of my time to bicker with vendor: priceless. Price of shipping back to vendor: more than guide costs. Decision: throw it in the trashcan and don't worry about it, don't wrap a split guide. On expensive guides I pay extra close attention to what I'm doing..

Lou

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 15, 2005 07:27AM

Phil - Echoes w/ Lou. Junk the guide & grab a new one. If you have to re-order, let the vendor know, but it ain't worth a stink. Wrapping that defective guide foot onto your rod blank can only give things a chance to get MUCH worse, with some real damage to your rod blank. IMO, -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: November 15, 2005 08:03AM

Let your supplier know and maybe you can get a credit on some thing else or another guide later.

Date: November 15, 2005 08:50AM

Lou brings up some good points! However, we can all help the manufacturers provide better products by sending back the defective
stuff that we receive. Even with the best quality control errors can happen and rather than just complaining and trashing the bad
component, sending it back allows them to "see" what went wrong and hopefully take steps to fix the problem.
A couple of minutes and a buck or two can go a long way and help make better products for all of us. If after one has done that and the
problem still persists or you get an unfavorable response from the vendor, just post your experience and find another vendor!
With good communication a lousy vendor or maufacturer won't last long I bet!

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 15, 2005 11:08AM

I have to agree with Raymond. It's not the money but making a company aware that there may be a problem. If "X" companies guides are failing and they aren't even aware of it, they (and we) will pay the price down the line. If they are made aware of a problem, they can take steps to correct it. Ignoring a problem will not make it go away, it will only make it worse.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: November 15, 2005 05:41PM

Hi guys. As I mentioned yesterday's guide was poorly prepped, blue, as were most of the guides I had ordered at that time frame. The guide was blue and the tip rolled under the guide foot on some guides.

I won't mention the manufacturer because I have heard that they have improved their process since then, but I have not ordered these types of guides in a while.

$1.59 Hardaloy- I don't have a problem trashing. Something more expensive in the 10-20 dollar range, makes me cringe.

Thanks for the inputs.
Phil

Date: November 15, 2005 08:55PM

Hi Phil,
Did you get them from a vendor or straight from the manufacturer? I hope you will at least drop them a line about your
order.

Raymond Adams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster