I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Size of ceramic tip top
Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: November 13, 2005 04:37PM

I am building a #5 9' fly rod as a present for an admin of one Finnish fly fishing forum. I want the rod to be as good as I can make it to be. The blank is Winston's Boron IIx according to the admin's wishes.

I'm getting some of Andy Dear's high end cork and burl for the handle. The reel seat will be the same as in the original factory rod with Winston engraving on it.

Now I'm pondering which guides to put on it. Since the budget looks pretty good I've decided to give the Fuji Concept Titanium Sics a go. The runners will be #6 TLSG's and strippers probably a #12 and #8 TLNSG - does it sound ok? How ever the tip top is causing me some problems to decide since they do not have titanium framed concept one. Should I get the Concept TFST although not titanium framed (?) or TLST with titanium frame?

Cheers!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Size of ceramic tip top
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: November 13, 2005 07:15PM

I'd use the TLST.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 13, 2005 11:08PM

MIKKO - According to the Mud-Hole Catalog 2005, page 59:

The FUJI "TITANIUM CONCEPT SIC TOPS" TFST is listed as a TITANIUM guide frame, and has arms positioned at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock (high arms).

The TLST is listed as their FLY-rod Tip-Top in this Titanium-frame, SIC-ring category.

For Fuji's Titanium frame, Silicon Carbide Tip-Tops, the smallest rings for TPST (regular frame, arms medium height at 8 o'clock + 4 o'clock position) or TLST (fly rod frame, NO ARMS) are 8mm and 7mm, respectively. ...

FUJI "TITANIUM CONCEPT SIC TOPS"
TFST-6MM-__/64ths inch Tube Size: $8.20 ... From the photograph in the M-H Catalog, this Concept frame for the SiC ring does not seem to hold the ring off the tube quite as high as the Alconite-ring Concept-frame Tip-Tops.

TFST - the Concept frame tip-top - rings in 6-7-8 MM - $8

TLST - the FLY rod frame tip-top - all rings 7 MM - $11

TPST - the SPIN/CAST frame t-t - all rings 8 MM - $11

Posted by: Antti Kymalainen (---.storaenso.com)
Date: November 14, 2005 07:04AM

Mikko,

I have a suggestion to you in this case, you've seen my rod I showed to you at Kotka and I have used different Fuji's sigs in that. I's say go for following setup

Strippers Fuji SVSG #12 and #8 (sizes are as you set)
Runners Fuji TSG 1 x #7 and rest #6
TipTop Fuji TFST with 6 or 7 size ring (I've been using TPST for my 8wt rods)

You could also think set up like #12 & #10 strippers and the singlefoot #8, #7 and rest #6's

SVSG is a bit higher and "slimmer" and looks better when mounted at rod in my opinion.

Give me a call Mikko and let's talk more of the guides. I also need to talk to you about blanks....

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: November 16, 2005 01:39PM

Cheers for the tips lads! :D

Thanks for the good info Cliff! Yes I noticed that the TFST is listed as a titanium famed tip top by the M-H. Though I find it confusing how Fuji lists the concept tip tops if you look at their page at [www.anglersresource.net] . The subheading written with blue text does not say that there are titanium framed concept tip tops. However the TFST is listed to be titanium alloy framed. If you take a look at the other concept SIC guides the titanium framed ones are clearly listed as solid titanium framed ones. Here [www.anglersresource.net] . Doh - I am confused! LOL! :D Perhaps I should write to Fuji...

I'll call you Antti.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 16, 2005 07:53PM

Mikko - It does look confusing. But I think that the left-hand column is speaking in general terms about the characteristics of the overall Concept Series Guides. Fuji did not match the text to the Table of Tip-Tops. By looking at the Tables, we see:

For Fly, Casting and Spinning Rods
TITANIUM ALLOY FRAME: TFST-MM-___/-64ths inch .

Fly Guides
SOLID TITANIUM FRAME: TLSG-MM-___/-64ths inch .

IN THIS CASE, Don't let the description at far left confuse you about the TABLE of Guides and Tip-Tops. Look at the Header description in the Table for the correct information on the guides listed in it. ...
Take Care, Mikko. -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Sakari Siipilehto (---.ms.tut.fi)
Date: November 18, 2005 04:06AM

I'm not seeing the problem here. Titanium alloy is basically titanium, there's just some other elements too. Like carbon steel (iron alloy) has iron and carbon.

If you get ie TFST5(4), you get a titanium frame, 5mm diameter ring and the tube's inner diameter is 4.1/64 inches.

Cheers,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster