I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie Cork Shaping Question
Posted by: Leon Mack (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2005 12:01AM

When shaping glued-up cork rings on a lathe are you working directly on the blank or an arbor of some type that the shaped handle will be removed from? I'm thinking that the rings are glued-up right on the actual blank and that blank is chucked but I wanted to ask first.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie Cork Shaping Question
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 13, 2005 01:08AM

Some put them on the blank, but many (me included), glue them up and turn them on mandrels, shaping/sanding them and then reaming them to fit the blank, I prefer that way after having a blank destroyed by doing it on the blank. By doing it on a mandrel, if you screw up all you've lost is the grip. I drill the rings as close to the largest dia needed before gluing. This means a lot less reaming afterwards. If you need any more info, feel free to shoot me an e-mail

Mike

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: November 13, 2005 09:06AM

Leon,
I sell a DVD that explains how to do all this in great detail. It is a very simple procedure that I think you will really enjoy. If you'll shoot me an email, I'll send you a copy of my written instructions on how to use the grip turning amndrels that I manufacture.

regards,

Andy Dear
Lamar manf.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.90.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: November 13, 2005 01:48PM

i used one of andy's mandrels. worked great. many appear to do it on the blank, but i think many more weigh in that they do it on a mandrel of some sort.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: November 13, 2005 02:51PM

I forgot to mention that I use Andy's mandrels! The newer ones with the threaded end/spacers are super. His DVD is a must see!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 13, 2005 07:13PM

As Mike mentioned, Andy's mandrels work great and his DVD is a great teaching tool.

However, I haven't run across the "threaded end/spacers" that Mike mentions and would like more info on these. Thanks.
Stan

Posted by: Anonymous User (203.212.153.---)
Date: November 13, 2005 07:32PM

Yeah Mike what's these threaded end/spacers.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2005 08:07PM

MIke,You said you drill as close as possible to the largest size to cut down on reaming.Wouldnt this make the smaller diameter end fit loose and need to be shimmed with thread or some other filler???Or did you mean to say that you drilled to the smaller diameter as I do?

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: November 13, 2005 09:52PM

Fred,

It's the "A" disease!! I should have said the smallest size.

Stan, Myles,
He also makes the same mandrels only just like a pen mandrel with an adjustable stopper and one end treaded about an inch and a half. He uses 2 small "spacers" to put between the grip and stopper/nut on the threaded end. I haven't seen them on his web site but he had them in Charlotte last year. I hope he's still making them!! Fantastic1

Make sure you click on the pic to see it at it's largerst size so you can see the mandrel! [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2005 09:55PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: November 14, 2005 12:03AM

That's a really sharp idea for the mandrel. So do you use only the threaded end and the fixed stopper to compress rings while the glue dries? I guess you could also clamp the rings on the longer free end.

Date: November 14, 2005 12:07AM

That's one of Andy's mandrels in the picture, but I use waxed all thread and this contraption for gluing up and then transfer to Andy's mandrels [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2005 12:18AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: November 14, 2005 12:42AM

Thanks Mike. I made myself one of those too. I find that using allthread leaves a lot of epoxy adhesive in the rough grip, threaded just like the rod. Does that interfere when transferring in onto a regular mandrel for turning? Also, if this makes it pretty tight, as tight as gluing on the mandrel, is it strong enough to prevent the grip spinning on the mandrel when you turn at high speed?

Date: November 14, 2005 09:48AM

FYI guys,
I have uploaded the mandrel instructions to the website. That link is now working under the "tools" section.

regards,

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Date: November 14, 2005 10:03AM

Andy,

Are you still making the "Pen type" versions of the mandrels?? I get a lot of comments on mine.

Mike

Date: November 14, 2005 11:28AM

Yeah...I nee to put them up on the website...too much new stuff coming out!!!!

ANdy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster